I Found Some Things to Do in Chicago


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
March 18th 2024
Published: March 9th 2024
Edit Blog Post

Some Chicago events for March: 3/16 Wizards vs Bulls (the Wiz are awful, we plan to skip it!)

Pretty Woman (Broadway in Chicago) I prefer My Fair Lady, so we are going on Friday night.

Portillo's (a must stop for me) Eataly (always an adventure) Yolk (breakfast in a nice clean, and quiet place)

Second City Bill Murray, Stephen Colbert, Tina Fey and more honed their wit at this slick venue with nightly shows.

The Mainstage and ETC stage host sketch revues (with an improv scene thrown in); they're similar in price and quality. If you turn up around 10pm Monday through Thursday (or 1am Saturday or 9pm Sunday) you can watch a free improv set.


Steppenwolf is Chicago’s top stage for quality, provocative theater productions. The Hollywood-heavy ensemble includes Gary Sinise, John Malkovich, Martha Plimpton, Gary Cole, Joan Allen and Tracy Letts. A money-saving tip: the box office releases 20 tickets for $20 for each day’s shows; they go on sale at 11am Tuesday to Saturday and at 1pm Sunday, and are available by phone.

We can also look for Don Rebholz's ring on Rush Street! (Inside joke)

Count Chicago as one of the many large U.S. cities with a reputation for being unsafe. However, first-time visitors to the Windy City all report the same thing: The parts worth visiting aren’t dangerous at all! “Chicago is a very modern city that is surprisingly clean,” explains one man. “It has some of the best restaurants in the country. Great nightlife. Spectacular lakefront with public beaches. The media makes it out to be a war zone, but the many times I’ve visited, I’ve never once felt unsafe, even late at night.” You might think there's no need to reimagine a classic like carbonara, because what could possibly make it better?

But you'll change your mind once you visit Formento's. Here, bucatini (thick spaghetti-like pasta with a hole running through the center) is topped with a perfectly runny egg yolk, crispy pancetta, and fresh cracked black pepper, which come together to create a sensational dish.


With several locations in and around Chicago, MingHin Cuisine is a far cry from a standard chain restaurant. The menu combines style and substance, with its Chinatown restaurant on Archer Avenue particularly renowned for dim sum. Standout dishes include siu mai (pork and shrimp dumplings), pan-fried turnip cake, rice noodle rolls, vegetable crêpes, and egg tarts.


Chicago's Greektown is packed tight with top-notch places – but Greek Islands is the best of the bunch and, so it claims, 'America's most popular Greek restaurant'. Products like olive oil, cheese, and herbs are imported from Greece, and diners love the tasty dishes whipped up with these choice ingredients. The traditional grilled octopus, saganaki cheese, and moussaka are menu highlights.

Kuma’s Corner is a gourmet burger bar with several locations in Illinois, Colorado, and Indianapolis. Among its USPs is the fact that menu items are named after heavy metal bands, including Black Sabbath, Metallica, and Iron Maiden. Slayer – a 10-oz burger on a bed of fries with chili, caramelized onions, andouille sausage, cherry peppers, Monterey Jack, and scallions – is among customer favorites, although all burgers are juicy and flavorsome.


Kathryn’s Soul, a restaurant in Chicago French Market. Customers love the loaded baked potato with shrimp, cheese, bacon, sour cream and chives, as well as the meatloaf, which comes with a choice of sides including creamy spinach, mac ‘n’ cheese, and garlic red skin potatoes. Regulars also rave about the banana pudding.


Diners at No Vacancy say that the food is 'phenomenal', with a great selection of wines available. The 'elevated dive bar' opened in early 2023 and already has a firm fan base. The kitchen is open into the early hours, with a menu of burgers, sandwiches, sliders, Southern fried chicken, wraps, and salads.


Chicago Andrew Zimmern of The Travel Channel said Birria Zaragoza served him "one of the best pieces of goat I've eaten domestically." This tiny family-run Mexican spot specializes in locally raised (and then oven-roasted) goat in tacos, quesadillas, and in its house-made tomato and garlic broth (made with no meat drippings, so technically vegetarian-friendly without the goat).


Sure, you've probably been faced with a whole chicken to tuck into at dinner, but what about a whole wild boar? Or goat? Or alligator? That's where Frontier comes in. Offering you (and 12-15 guests) a 'whole animal experience', this is a lesson in nose to tail eating. You simply choose your animal and watch as it comes out as the crowning centerpiece alongside four sides: mac 'n' cheese, Caesar salad, seasonal vegetables, and buttered rolls. Customers say it's an absolutely incredible experience.


Chicago is home to some of the best cheese shops in the country. One must-visit spot is Pastoral Artisan Cheese, Bread & Wine, which offers a wide selection of artisanal cheeses worldwide. They even offer cheese classes for those who want to learn more about their favorite dairy product.


Customers say every dish they order at Café Ba-Ba-Reeba is excellent – plus, they love the lively atmosphere, friendly service, and reasonable prices. Favorite tapas-style dishes include bacon-wrapped dates, beef skewers, Spanish omelets, deviled eggs, and ham croquettes. Billed as Chicago’s original tapas bar, it opened in 1985, and has an impressive drinks menu of Spanish wines, sangria, craft cocktails, and local beers.


Well, what do you know? I found another foodie town, Nawlins in January, Vegas in February. Three for three!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0534s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb