Chicago architecture Part 3 Art Deco


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
December 6th 2021
Published: December 6th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Art Deco architectural style is all about streamlined surfaces, linear and geometric shapes, symmetry and a dose of glamour all beautifully explained by Mike.



The Chicago Motor Club building now a hotel but still retains its art deco features. Not only was it a “monument to the progress of motordom,” it was a monument to the progress of capitalism and the prosperity of the 20’s. Everything about the building screams money, power and progress, especially the lobby. On the wall is a 29-foot mural depicting the important national highways and cities of the time, with many of the routes leading to Chicago.



The Carbide & Carbon Building designed by the Burnham Brothers and completed in 1929. Supposedly it was designed to look like a champagne bottle, with its golden top and green-tinted terracotta facade. The gold-leaf is not imitation it’s real 24 karat gold. The base is a reflective black granite, popular in Art Deco because of its sleekness and glamor.



333 N Michigan Ave was once home to the Tavern Club, whose members included Frank Lloyd Wright, Mayor Richard J. Daley, and William Wrigley.

The building was designed in 1929
by architecture firm Holabird and Root and is recognized for its class Art Deco structure.



Another interesting tour with Mike, this time focusing on the Art Deco architecture in Chicago. Despite the rain, the wind and a temperamental umbrella it was full of interesting stories including how ‘The Windy City’ is not known by this name because of the weather, you’ll need to check out his tours to find out the answer.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement







Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0295s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1018.9kb