Faberge museum


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Northwest » Saint Petersburg
November 28th 2021
Published: December 6th 2021
Edit Blog Post

What a treat to be able to visit virtually the Faberge Museum with Anna in St.Petersburg The collection is made up of over 4000 display items which represent the many different items created by the House of Fabergé.

Anna gave detailed information on many of the items with the main focus on the Imperial Eggs all so beautifully displayed.



The First Hen egg (Given by Tsar Alexander III to his wife in 1885) was not on display as it is part of the Faberge collection currently being shown at the V&A museum in London.



The Renaissance Egg is a jewelled Easter Egg and was the last Faberge egg Alexander gave to his wife Maria.



The Rosebud Egg opens like a bonbonnière to reveal a yellow-enamelled rosebud, where the surprises were originally contained. The surprises are missing, but they were a golden crown, with diamonds and rubies.



The Coronation Egg was to commemorate Alexandra Feodorovna. This pattern was also drawn from the Coronation robe worn by the Empress.



Lilies of the Valley Egg is covered in pearls and topped with rose pink enamel.

This egg's
surprise is 'elevated' out of the egg by twisting a gold-mounted pearl button. When fully raised, three portraits are visible Tsar Nicholas II & his two eldest daughters.



The Cockerel Egg has a mechanism on the top for a bird to come out and move.



The Fifteenth Anniversary Egg is made of gold, green and white enamel, decorated with diamonds. The surface is divided into eighteen panels set with 16 miniatures.

The egg's design commemorates the fifteenth anniversary of the coronation of Nicholas II in 1896.



The Bay Tree egg has a tiny lever disguised as a fruit, hidden among the leaves of the tree, the hinged top of the tree opens and a songbird flaps its wings, turns its head, opens its beak and sings.



Order of St. George egg. Made during World War I, the egg commemorates the Order of St. George the that was awarded to Emperor Nicholas and his son, this egg is of a modest design, in keeping with the austerity of the time.



Anna went into several other rooms where a variety of exquisite items were on display
Fantasy-themed objects, jewellery, silverware, home decor and objects of worship.



This was such a very special tour, the research that must have gone into preparing was exceptional.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement











Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0221s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb