2/2 Lyman Museum Hawai'ian Elderhostel


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu » Honolulu
February 2nd 2009
Published: March 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

ProteasProteasProteas

We had this since Hale'akala. Finally on its last legs.
We started the last day of Elderhostel thinking we would wear the leis we got at the Polynesian Center. Then we decided to fiddle with the ones we made the night before to wear to breakfast. We took the latter option. We left them for the cleaning staff because they looked pretty good.

Breakfast went quickly.

Several took pictures of each table. Up to this point our blessed/cursed camera did a lot of things but it did not do small groups inside very well. We'd tried.

Susan had done very well keeping all the administration and logistics straight. She had been so intent upon sharing the spectacular and vivid of Hawai'i that she never really gave us a test to see if any of it had sunk in!

But we all knew "Aloha" and "Mahalo." "Blessings on you" and "thank yous" filled the room as our time together came to an end.

Ann and I are both of Scandanavian extraction and do not do well in emotion-laden moments so we quietly slipped out.

We went to our room. Our reservation on the airport shuttle was set. That left a little time for resting and packing
Diamond HeadDiamond HeadDiamond Head

We took this on our way home.
and seeing what had happened to the world while we had gotten off.

We checked out at noon wearing our leis from the Center but decided to leave them there rather than maybe have to drag them through the agriculture line at the airport. We remained in the lobby reading until the shuttle came through, saying another goodbye to a few stragglers from the group like ourselves.

At the time I was so full of all that happened that it "about to wore me out."

Our trip home was not hurried. We had clear weather, a dark sky between the Islands and the Mississippi, and an arrival on time in Atlanta. We connected with our flight to Florida. And our friends were there waiting for us when we landed.

Our house was just fine, no unwanted odors, grass that had hardly grown during this dry season, hardly any wildfires around the county (one or two), and an empty refrigerator!

Oh yes. I forgot.

We did get our shot of Diamond Head on our way out on the plane!


PS I will probably write one more T-blog. There was some I got mixed up and some stories that remain to be told and some pictures to share. That will take a few days to put together. I will finally have had the joy of revisiting an experience that meant so much to us, especially since Ann had a stroke last week-end.

If it had been serious, I would have said so sooner. It was a matter of her short term memory stopping for several hours. She was fine by the time she left the hospital. She did not forget Hawai'i, just the bridge game she was playing, our trip over to the emergency room, and the initial care she got there.

We are so glad we didn't wait until summer to go to Hawai'i because of stuff like that.

More soon.




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Warm welcomeWarm welcome
Warm welcome

Our friends were there waiting.


7th March 2009

How scarey for you and Ann!! I'm pleased to hear Ann is already better and I hope she has no more complications. Take good care of each other.

Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0236s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb