2/1 Lyman Museum Hawai'ian Elderhostel


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu » Honolulu
February 1st 2009
Published: March 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Our last full day together was largely a chance to see the north shore of Oahu.

We had our camera out ready to take a picture of Diamond Head. We were going to drive right past it along the coast. Before we knew it, it was behind us and indistinguishable from the other segments of rock wall that now stood between us and Honolulu. It is hard to believe that we missed it again.

We got to see some of the best beaches in Hawai'i. It surprised us that they were not stacked body upon body. But that kind of overload was wreaking havoc on the beach and coral so the state was restricting access by charging a fee and limiting the number of people who could go down to those beaches. The state also closed them one day a week.

This new policy seems to be working for the sea shore.

We picked up our lunches in Haleiwa town and went to see if Susan's friend, Audrey Sutherland, would let us eat our lunches at her place.

None of us had ever heard of her. She came out to the road to welcome us. She
Hanauma BeachHanauma BeachHanauma Beach

Susan used to snorkle here anytime. Now it too is restricted in numbers and even in which days of the week.
did not look or act 87 years old.

After eating our lunches and enjoying her yard and beach, we were invited inside to hear from her about her adventures.

Her expertise was solo exploration of thousands of miles of the coast line by kayak. That means carrying food supply, a tiny stove, sleeping gear, and a shelter in a package she could put into her kayak with her. She was able to go great distances during a season by mailing her supplies to General Delivery at post offices along her route.

Again Marty's T-blog fills in so much of her story and our travels that day:

http://www.travelblog.org/fred.php?id=376571

Ann and I have canoed in the Canadian Boundary Waters, out in that wilderness for a week, with only what we could carry in and carry back out again. We had much admiration for Ms. Sutherland's accomplishments.

Our return was through what had been major pineapple and sugar plantations. They were now diminished in size and often planted in other crops. We saw we were watching the Hawai'ian economy in transition. Third world countries can produce those products so much cheaper than the Hawai'ians can.

Pineapple
Ann and ChiyokoAnn and ChiyokoAnn and Chiyoko

Lunch is over.
is still grown around the Dole Plantation but it is for local consumption and not export.

Sugar no longer stands as an export where it is still grown around the islands. It is still under production and sent to California for processing. But it is then returned to stores on the islands.

The macadamia nuts and Kona coffee grown on the family farms on the Big Island are the strongest exports the Islands have. Kaua'i is now trying to enter the high-end coffee market world wide.

A thriving dairy business has also collapsed because it is cheaper for farmers to buy milk produced on the mainland than it is to produce it in Hawai'i because of the costs of feed and of parts for equipment.

Tourism seems to be the best option so far for this transition. Gaining scientific facilities for research of plants, oceans, and the stars all may provide further growth opportunities. And the military still has a huge economic impact.

The evening after our return was not our last meal together. That would happen at breakfast. The last chance to hula together under Susan's direction passed quietly as she gave us a
The lily next to themThe lily next to themThe lily next to them

I'm always amazed at our camera's work.
chance to see how a lei could be made.

At the Polynesian Center, we saw a variety of techniques and leis, some from flowers, many from nuts and seeds, and some from wool and other man-made things.

Ann and I had both worked with lanyards in church camp many years ago so when Susan described how to twine the ti leaves, we caught on right away. She offered our services to help some who were having trouble. It was a very absorbing process and kept our hands and minds busy, as Marty says, to keep us from getting emotional.

Quite spontaneously we were offered poetry and song by group members which nearly took away the settling Susan seemed to be aiming for but which certainly deepened our appreciation of one another..




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Meeting Audrey SutherlandMeeting Audrey Sutherland
Meeting Audrey Sutherland

She used kayaks to explore 9,000 miles of shoreline!
Tourist stopTourist stop
Tourist stop

Our last together.


7th March 2009

Audrey Southerland
I loved meeting Audrey and visiting at her house. As Mary Metts said she made usask "What have I done with my life?". I also loved exploring Audrey's rocks and tide pools in her front yard. Great Fun!!

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0499s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb