Honolulu


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu » Honolulu
September 24th 2008
Published: September 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Greetings from the other side of the world. After 1/2 an hour delay in Adelaide we finally took off around noon, 4 1/2 hour flight to NZ was uneventful and fun. Two hour layover and then enroute to Hawaii, another 8 or so hours in the air arriving at 7:15am on the same day we left..........virtually no sleep on the plane, its very hard to sleep sitting up. As we arrived so early our room wasn't ready so we had to wander around until lunch time. Severely jet lagged so we had to have a little nanny nap. Headed off to find somewhere for dinner, Cheeseburger Paradise looked good and it was. Most restaurants don't have any windows as there are no flies, mossies or moths in Hawaii. Back to the hotel to crash for the night......lots of sleep for us old farts to catch up on.
Day 2, jumped on the local bus to Pearl Harbor. The tour there included a short film, which gave me goosebumps and then onto a boat launch out to the Arizona Memorial, very sad and eerie knowing that 1000 odd sailors lay below us in their watery grave. Amazingly this whole tour was free. Then we walked over to the navy museum and paid to do the audio tour of a submarine "Bowfin". I never thought I would get the chance to go inside a sub. Back on the public bus to the Ala Moana shopping centre which covers 6 block and has three stories, didn't get see the whole centre as it was too big, but did get some good bargains. Dinner at the surf club Lulu's, next to our hotel.......yummy steaks.
Day 3, we booked an island tour, which covered about 140 miles. Picked up at 8am, first stop was a pineapple plantation, no freebies though, then on to Waimea Beach, Banzai Pipeline and lots more beach parks. The countryside is beautiful. Back to the hotel around 5ish, a long day. Joods went for a dip then off to look for food again. This time pizza, Jac and Joods liked theirs but I wasn't so keen, but the shop next door had delicious Macadamia Nut ice cream. Having an early night tonight as we have a 5am pick up for the airport.
Next stop mainland USA and the Queen Mary at Long Beach :o)


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Waikiki BeachWaikiki Beach
Waikiki Beach

View from our hotel balcony on the 21st floor
JacJac
Jac

Taking a nanny nap
SunsetSunset
Sunset

Waikiki Beach
Pearl HarborPearl Harbor
Pearl Harbor

Arizona Memorial and the USS Missouri
Sleeping quartersSleeping quarters
Sleeping quarters

Our hotel room (lol)
Bonzai PipelineBonzai Pipeline
Bonzai Pipeline

As you can see it was really pumping......not
JoodsJoods
Joods

Resting after a big lunch.


26th September 2008

cool!
great to know your finally there and having a good time! Im going to really enjoy the blogs! Suz
29th September 2008

Aloha
Anne Marie and I ate at LuLu's and Cheeseburgers in Paradise as well, when we were there last year. How big are the serves!!! No wonder there are so many Fatty Boombas in US of A Cheers, Phil
3rd October 2008

tropical decor
who would have though that jac looks so good in florals.

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0426s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb