"Oh Days of Fire and Sun"


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Maui
May 19th 2010
Published: August 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Maui, Hawaii


Maui View of the BayMaui View of the BayMaui View of the Bay

Leaving the Upcountry for Kihei

Kihei's Kindness



We roll into Kihei on Maui’s south shore with our convertible top down and lathered in hypoallergenic sunscreen. The wind is rustling our hair, we’re looking pert in our dark sunglasses, and we talk and laugh as we cruise. It is warmer, sunnier here. We love it. We’ve pulled off the main thoroughfare of Hwy 31 (also known as Pi’ilani Highway) onto S. Kihei road which runs the length of Kihei and through, what seems to me, the heart of Kihei. Following the edges of the ocean we are provided sneak previews of clear blue waves, bikini clad swimmers, and long wide beaches of white sands. We practically salivate. But first, to our hotel to get checked in, rid ourselves of luggage, and locate a restaurant for lunch. I am starving.

We pull into the parking lot of the Sunseeker Hotel - rainbow flags flying all around. Prior, we had sensed this would be a good place for us and so it is. As well, the beach is literally across the street from the hotel. They promote themselves as “the place on Maui where you can feel free to be yourself”. We like that idea. They are open to all, but cater to the gay and lesbian traveler. We didn’t mind, found the service excellent, the help cheerful, authentic, and friendly. The buildings are older but well-maintained with updated rooms and a lushly landscaped courtyard. A large jacuzzi on the upper deck was a must, we were told, for a lovely soak under the stars. After a quick tour we were shown to comfortable rooms with a small kitchenette, a roll away bed (added for whomever didn‘t get the larger queen size bed), and a nice view of the courtyard off our lanai. We drop off our luggage and pile back into our cruiser and, having received suggestions for several good restaurants, we head out in search of our next gastronomical adventure.

We find it upstairs at "Café O’Lei" in the Rainbow Mall. We order one of the chef’s specialties: Manoa Lettuce Wraps - a savory dish of spiced finely minced chicken, water chestnuts, ginger, and hoisin, wrapped in manoa lettuce leaves with a tasty dipping sauce on the side - where we found perfection. Ambience was casual and comfortable, the entrée price reasonable @ $7.95 each and the service great, definitely a dining hotspot for
Sunseeker Hotel Sunseeker Hotel Sunseeker Hotel

Happy and Gay!
us.

Refreshed, we continue our drive south past a veritable smorgasbord of shops, restaurants, and malls, all mostly built in the 70‘s-80’s as development for this region did not begin until the late 60’s when water was piped in from central and west Maui. It was dry and mostly desolate until then. Evidently there was a building frenzy over the years as there are lots and lots of condominiums, rentals and timeshares. Most available for visitors, which we avoided entirely. Though largely built on beachfront property, we learned that nearly all are public beaches and access allowed. There are a lot of them - each suited for a different activity whether it is swimming, snorkeling, body surfing, or board surfing. We quickly discover that the afternoons bring strong trade winds at the lower altitudes (ushered in with the arrival of summer) and most of the windless mornings best for swimming and sunbathing then gives way to afternoon wind surfers. Prior to my arrival to Maui I didn’t remember anyone speaking of this. I quickly tired of these dominant winds blowing me every which way. Mornings though - sublime. Calm and cooler, it is the perfect summer beach weather.
 Sunseeker Hotel Room Sunseeker Hotel Room Sunseeker Hotel Room

Becky got the rollaway this time.


Deciding to explore the area a bit, we continue on southward. The road narrows, becomes winding and eventually becomes a tree lined drive surrounded by prominent sprawling master-planned resorts, private gated communities and at least one bright, crisply cut and greened championship golf course. (My favorite sport…) We are now in Wailea. This ritzy area is definitely the domain of the discriminating resident or guest. In general that would not be us. We, the budget traveler of the people, enjoyed the view, but I could not help but wonder about the priority use of resources in an area with very little rainfall - drought ridden these last years, some locals told me, and concern by environmentalists and locals alike about the over development of Maui. We chose to do without lavish treatment or comforts. I am glad now that we made that decision. Also, this allowed us to stay longer and still remain within our budgets. Of course, being intuitive helps. We wish to serve and honor the nature and life of this island, and so we are being honored in return by being guided to wonderful locals and interesting experiences.

Anyway, we scope out beaches along the way, Becky stops at my slightest suggestion so that I can snap pictures, and we generally enjoy our drive. What’s not to love? Nature’s beauty is everywhere. Tomorrow, though, is the big day. We are in this area to honor another aspect of nature and life, this one very different from the aspects of Fire and Earth that Becky and I had the privilege of “knowing” at the top of Haleakala Volcano. I look forward to this coming experience and as we make our way back to our room for the evening I wonder what I will learn next…



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Kihei, Sunseeker Hotel Kihei, Sunseeker Hotel
Kihei, Sunseeker Hotel

Nice Courtyard Area
Kihei, Cafe O' LeiKihei, Cafe O' Lei
Kihei, Cafe O' Lei

Becky_Dressed to Match the Building
 Cafe O Cafe O
Cafe O

Nice Ambience, Ecellent Food, and Not Crowded - Today Anyway
 Kihei, Cafe O' Lei Kihei, Cafe O' Lei
Kihei, Cafe O' Lei

They Had Cozy Sitting Areas That I Really Liked
Kihei, Cafe OKihei, Cafe O
Kihei, Cafe O

Becky & I Enjoying Ourselves_Our friendly Food Server Takes Picture of Us
Wailea Golf CourseWailea Golf Course
Wailea Golf Course

Me, Having Some Fun on the Golf Course
WaileaWailea
Wailea

One of the Secluded Luxury Resorts of Wailea
 Kihei to Wailea Kihei to Wailea
Kihei to Wailea

Driving From Wailea Back to Kihei


Tot: 0.202s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0903s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb