Day 4 - Hawaii Cruise


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Big Island » Hilo
January 10th 2007
Published: January 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Got off the ship at Hilo and got on our tour bus to go and see the volcano’s. Jumping on the bus felt like we were getting on the senior cits bus for the day. People needed help getting on and off.

Neway we were on our way went thru downtown Hilo and to the Volcano National Park. Visited a few volcanoes which were craters. It was amazing. No lava in site but each crater was just steaming. You saw some dry lava, it was like we were on another planet. The tour guide said NASA had trained there astronauts on this surface as it resembles the moon. It was very usual.

Apparently the Killawa Volcano is the 2nd most active in the world. It has been active since 1983 and when the ship leaves port tonight we will actually pass it where the lava meets the ocean- we have been assured that it will happen- will let you know tomorrow. We also visited a lava tube which was a passage of lava. Interesting.

On the way back to the pier we stopped at a Macadamia Nut factory, apparently 85% of the world’s supply is made here. I don’t like nuts, but Benn stocked up.

Now back on the ship. I am performing in a hula show tonight so watch out! There is also a comedy show on and weakest link game show. At 10pm tonight we will pass this volcano and its lava- should be good. Tomorrow we hit Kona which is the other side of the island we are on now. Got a rafting and snorkel tour booked there- shall be fun.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0314s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb