Trees and romance


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Georgia » Savannah
March 15th 2011
Published: January 7th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Typical street in the Savannah historic districtTypical street in the Savannah historic districtTypical street in the Savannah historic district

Note the low hanging trees covered in Spanish moss
Today is my first day in one of the most romantic cities in the US, Savannah Georgia.

It was founded by British general James Oglethorpe.

He wanted to create a haven for yeoman farmers and those in debt.

To this end, he banned both bankers and lawyers from his new colony!

He also banned Catholics, rum, and slavery.

Like many utopian experiments, he designed the town plan very deliberately.

It was broken into self-contained areas called units.

Each one had a public square at the center.

Residents’ houses surrounded the square, and farms were next to those.

Each farmer was expected to grow goods that would be sold in England to finance the colony.

The experiment ultimately failed, and settlers turned to the slave based plantations used elsewhere in the south.




The squares are still there, and they form part of Savannah’s unique atmosphere.

Another major component is the trees.

A hint of this is found on the highways into the historic district “Danger: overhanging trees, low clearance”.

The streets of Savannah are lined with hundred year old oak and beech trees.

They have been allowed
Battle of SavannahBattle of SavannahBattle of Savannah

Reconstruction of the site of the Battle of Savannah during the Revolutionary (NOT Civil) War
to overhang the streets, so they form a green tunnel.

All of the trees are covered in Spanish moss that hangs everywhere.

There is nothing else like it in the US.

The trees were a driving hazard for me, because all I wanted to do was look at them instead of the road.


Savannah History Museum





The first stop for most visitors, including me, is the Savannah History Museum, which gives an overview of the city.

This is not entirely a good thing, as the museum and its surrounding streets are overrun with cars and tour busses.

It was peaceful once I got inside.

The displays inside cover the major points of Savannah history, including James Oglethorpe, plantation agriculture, and the wars that have shaken the area.

The museum also has a number of quirkier exhibits, such as one on the evolution of ladies hats.




One fact that visitors may not be aware of is that Savannah saw far more action in the Revolutionary War than the Civil War.

The British held the city, and French and American troops tried to take it.

After a long
Forsyth Park FountainForsyth Park FountainForsyth Park Fountain

The center fountain in Forsyth Park, Savannah Georgia. Note the green water, a St. Patricks week special
and bloody battle, they were repulsed.

The French contingent contained a troop of free Africans from Haiti; after the French Revolution, many of them because leaders of the Haitian fight for independence.




During the Civil War, Savannah was the site of one of the stranger groups of that era, the Ladies Gunboat Association.

After the Monitor and Virginia (known to northerners of the Merrimac) fought to a standstill, local leaders decided Savannah needed an iron gunboat of its own to break the Union blockade of the city.

The Ladies Gunboat Society formed to raise the necessary funds.

They did so, and a local shipyard built the boat, the CSS Georgia.

Unfortunately, the builders did not design the boat properly, and it could barely maneuver in the Savannah River.

The local commander ultimately turned it into a floating fort.




The Civil War displays have one missing detail that I find very telling.

There is not one word about William Tecumseh Sherman and what he did in Savannah.

The answer, it’s worth pointing out, is “nothing”.

After his army captured it at the end of their march from Atlanta, he
The Charter OakThe Charter OakThe Charter Oak

The Charter Oak, oldest tree in Savannah Georgia. This live oak is over 300 years old.
ensured they left the city alone on Lincoln’s orders, which is why we get to enjoy the amazing architecture today.


Savannah's Squares





After the museum, I checked into my accommodations.

While researching this trip, I quickly realized that I had to make a major tradeoff.

Both Savannah and Charleston would be having major events while I would be there, and rates were accordingly high.

Given my budget, I would be forced to do at least one of the two on the cheap.

I ultimately chose to spend the cash in Savannah.

This was partly due to parking in Savannah being much harder to find otherwise and partly due to finding a pretty good deal.

I stayed at the Catherine Ward House, which is a restored Victorian Bed and Breakfast on the edge of the Historic District.

The house itself is beautiful.

The rooms are painted warm colors, and the rooms are filled with light.

My room features a chandelier.

The owner also loves to chat, and is very knowledgeable about the city.




I spent the rest of the day just wandering around and looking
Monterey SquareMonterey SquareMonterey Square

Monterey Square, just one of the famous squares of Savannah Georgia
at the squares, houses, and trees.

I stayed out long after the sun had gone down.

Many people see the historic district on a guided tour, but I found my guidebook to be sufficient.

The largest green space is Forsyth Park, a deliberately designed garden park.

Its centerpiece is a large fountain of nymphs, frogs, and swans.

Given that this was St. Patrick’s Day week, the fountain water was dyed green.

This was a pretty surreal sight.

Next to the northeast corner of the park is the largest coastal oak tree I had ever seen.

This is the Charter Oak, the oldest tree in Savannah, alive for over three centuries.

The sign does not mention the fact that Union Soldiers chained Confederate supporters to it during the occupation of the city.




Just north of the park is Monterey Square, considered the most beautiful of the squares by many.

It’s a fantasyland of twisted oak trees and flower beds.

Several of the buildings on the square have decorative ironwork.

On one side is a gothic building that many people mistake for a church.

It’s actually
Typical house in the historic districtTypical house in the historic districtTypical house in the historic district

A typical house in the historic district. Note the decorative iron work balconies and fencing
a Jewish synagogue, Congregation Mickve Israel, the oldest in the south.

The congregation dates to the 1720s, when Jews moved to Savannah to escape persecution in Spain.

One square north and one square east is Lafayette Square, whose main landmark is a large beautiful Catholic Church.

This is the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, the spiritual home of the city’s Irish.

More squares with more historic buildings followed, although they blend together after a while.

They are all insanely beautiful.

Most of the squares have statues of one form or another.

Savannah residents love to joke about how the statues have nothing to do with who the squares are named after.


Southern Cooking in Savannah





I had dinner tonight at a budget pushing, but worth it, restaurant called the Olde Pink House.

When tourists want to eat southern food in Savannah, they inevitably head to Lady and Sons, the restaurant founded by Paula Deen.

Natives will now not go anywhere near it, and head to places like the Olde Pink House instead.

The building is one of the most historic in Savannah, having been built for a British Army commander.

It’s on a
Johnson SquareJohnson SquareJohnson Square

Johnson Square in Savannah Georgia, the first created in the city. The monument honors Revolutionary War general Nathanael Greene. The post in frtont is a sundial honoring Savannah cofounder William Bull.
square, of course, Reynolds Square.

The pink color was originally due to read bricks bleeding through white stucco.

They serve southern cooking with a modern twist.

When I ate there, they had several dishes with pecans of all sorts: pecan sauce, pecan puree, candy coated pecans, and more.

The food was cooked to perfection, and delicious.

I had desert at the most famous ice cream parlor in a city filled with them: Leopold’s.

Their flavors are adventurous and intense.

I ultimately chose lemon custard, but almost any would have sufficed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 26


Advertisement

Battle MonumentBattle Monument
Battle Monument

Commemoration of the Battle of Savannah
Savannah town planSavannah town plan
Savannah town plan

Copy of the oldest map showing Savannah's town plan. The green spaces in the middle of each ward are now Savannah's famous squares
CottonCotton
Cotton

How Savannah made its fortune before the Civil War
CSS Georgia shellCSS Georgia shell
CSS Georgia shell

Shell recovered from the CSS Georgia, financed by the Lady's Gunboat Society
Sherman NecktieSherman Necktie
Sherman Necktie

Railroad rail wrapped around a tree by General Sherman's troops during the March to the Sea through Georgia
Forest Gump BenchForest Gump Bench
Forest Gump Bench

Moved to the museum so it wouldn't get stolen
Midnight in the Garden of Good and EvilMidnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil

Reproduction of Bird Girl, the grave statue on the cover of a famous book about Savannah (the Telfair Art Museum has the original)
Victorian housesVictorian houses
Victorian houses

Victorian houses near the southern edge of the historic district
Forsyth ParkForsyth Park
Forsyth Park

Live oak tree draped with Spanish moss in Forsyth Park
Forsyth ParkForsyth Park
Forsyth Park

Typical scene of live oaks in Forsyth Park
Forsyth ParkForsyth Park
Forsyth Park

Flowering trees in Forsyth Park
Savannah ArchitectureSavannah Architecture
Savannah Architecture

Well known mansion in the Savannah historic district
Casimir Pulaski MonumentCasimir Pulaski Monument
Casimir Pulaski Monument

Memorial to a Polish General killed during the Revolution
Temple Mickve IsraelTemple Mickve Israel
Temple Mickve Israel

The oldest synagogue in Georgia, and one of the five oldest in the United States
Tree shrouded streetsTree shrouded streets
Tree shrouded streets

More beautiful greenery in the historic district
Cathedral of Saint John the BaptistCathedral of Saint John the Baptist
Cathedral of Saint John the Baptist

Largest Roman Catholic cathedral in the city, and spiritual home of local Irish.
William Jasper MonumentWilliam Jasper Monument
William Jasper Monument

Memorial to a soldier killed during the Battle of Savannah during the Revolutionary War
Historic district houseHistoric district house
Historic district house

Another beautiful old house in the historic district
Garden square at nightGarden square at night
Garden square at night

Savannah's squares are just as pretty at night as during the day


Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0355s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb