The legend of the Spanish Moss


Advertisement
Published: January 24th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Spanish MossSpanish MossSpanish Moss

Spanish Moss
Hi everyone...Tuesday here now, lovely and warm but not sunny. We're not complaining though.

One of the first things we noticed upon arrival on Saint Simons Island is these amazing Live Oak trees that keep their leaves in the winter. The trees are huge and they are all beautifully draped with something that we now know is called Spanish Moss. Apparently it isn't actually a moss, but is called that anyway. It is an epiphytic plant...one that grows on another plant.

I found this Legend and thought I'd share it with y'all.

The Legend of the Spanish Moss







The story says that Gorez Goz, a bearded Spanish villain, journeyed to our shores and spied a beautiful Indian Maid. He bought her for a yard of braid and a little bar of soap.

The Indian maiden was so afraid of this bearded beast that she fled over the hill and glade with him in pursuit. Tiring, she clmbed to the top of a tree, with the Spanierd close behind. She dove from the tree to the stream below. The villains beard and whiskers became entangled in the branches holding him back while she got away.

Gorez Goz's life was at a loss, but his beard lives on as dangling Spanish Moss.

Here's a picture of this ethereal draping plant.


"It blurs conceals softens and wraps the hard limbs of hard times in a fringed shawl". James J. Kilpatrick

Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0289s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb