Captain Chuck and the Manatee


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida
May 31st 2010
Published: June 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Finally a manatee!Finally a manatee!Finally a manatee!

Frosted glass shots of a young manatee in Titusville.
Manatee? We'd read about these 'gentle giants'; 1200 pounds of mammalian, warm-blooded, breast-feeding, air-breathing, family-oriented, sea-dwelling life-force. I once knew a professor in university who was excited about getting the opportunity to do manatee research in Florida, but that was the extent of my prior knowledge.

The reality was a 'huge' wake-up call. At every bridge and juncture you see manatee warning signs on the ICW in Florida. But we didn't see any. Friends drove us to visit the manatee centre in Fort Pierce but the manatee, who usually hang around the waste heat areas of the power plants, were nowhere to be seen. This scenario, in a strange way, brought to mind our Canadian tragedy of homeless people trying to take shelter around steam pipes in big cities to stay alive during bouts of sub-zero weather.

When we got to Vero Beach in an unusally cold winter, we were sad to hear that manatee, turtles, fish and other sea creatures were dying. Sailors had turtles wrapped in towels, waiting to be transported to warm indoor facilities. The total population of the Manatee species in Florida hovers around 3200. Eventually we read that 77 had been lost this winter
Buddies, Frank and ChuckBuddies, Frank and ChuckBuddies, Frank and Chuck

When you have a mechanical background there is no need for small talk!
where we were.

At the Manatee Centre in Fort Pierce we also learned that many manatee are killed by boats because they are 'slow' swimmers. 100% of them will suffer debilitating injuries from the blades of speeding propellers. Some people may believe that hey don't belong in Florida or they are 'dirty', perhaps because they are plagued with barnacles. Unfortunately, the constant racing boats in 'Manatee Zones' are a testimony to the thoughtless so-called superiority of humans. Even the threat of tickets doesn't seem to slow them down. Again, it brings to mind people racing cars though posted, residential neighbouthoods populated by children. Remorse comes after the fact.

On the other side, many people work diligently to honour and preserve the homes and habitats of these marvelous creatures. Generally boaters are sympathetic and conscientious in their bahaviour around their aquatic neighbours.

So we have been very vigilent in our quest to see manatee. We've craned our necks, obeyed the NO WAKE, IDLE SPPED zones and sat with binoculars in bug infested swamps waiting to glimpse a single one. Of course everyone at the marina had seen a few the night before and where were we?

Eventally
See the manatee???See the manatee???See the manatee???

They're slow moving... but faster than my camera!
patience is rewarded. Well usually. Our luck was just to meet Capt. Chuck in Vero Beach. Maybe because he's been around the water for so many years, he knows what to look for... or the manatee just know who to trust. Chuck was practically on a first name basis with our elusive pond-mates. Like other folks with more experience than us, he told wonderful stories such as the manatee playing with his dinghy... batting it around with their kids like it was a beach toy.

So it's no surprise that Chuck would be the person to finally spot a pod one Sunday afternoon a few weeks ago. While visiting him in Titusville he pointed out a family group lounging in the centre of the small municipal harbour. Like poetry in motion they rolled in lazy circles, breathing and nursing, sunning and funning close to the docks.

Our pictures are 'no hell'. Without a high speed camera and a helicoper, I'm not sure how I could capture that moment when they breathe. The best we could do was to capture the tip of a flipper or the large oval left on the water when they dive.

We heard
Junior checked us out Junior checked us out Junior checked us out

Suddenly, a manatee appeared at our feet, circled back to join the group.
of a family recently that jumped in and swam with them, although this is supposed to be a very bad thing, because it tames the manatee and makes them even more vulnerable. The family were amazed that the whole manatee group semed to adore their youngest daughter and wanted to be near her.

We are getting better at spotting the manatee. Yesterday on the ICW, steering very carefully through a narrow bridge with tumultuous tidal currents rushing toward us, I spotted a large manatee swimming slowly past our starboard bow. I know how hard it is to steer a course through those chaotic narrows. I can't imagine how I would do if I were out there swimming past roaring boats. I'm feeling confident that the manatee had lots of leeway and made it safely home to it's family for dinner.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Rock ImpersonatorRock Impersonator
Rock Impersonator

Maybe he has an ipod down there?
SnoozingSnoozing
Snoozing

A few air bubbles escape before they come up to breathe.
SurfacingSurfacing
Surfacing

Nose out to breathe
SubmergingSubmerging
Submerging

How do they breathe in and sink?
Digging inDigging in
Digging in

Another power nap.
Living IN the waterLiving IN the water
Living IN the water

...while breathing air,doesn't seem very restful.
Moving under the dockMoving under the dock
Moving under the dock

A little less sun... a little more privacy.


9th June 2010

Like!
What an adventure you're experiencing! I'm impressed with your updates (words + pics). Now, you know I teach a lit class and I'm interested in learning how all these "external" actions/adventures are affecting your "internal" quest. How changed will you be when our paths next cross? I sense that you're going deeper all the time, as you are also discovering the wide world you're travelling through. Me too, although I really never anticipated doing it alone at this stage of my life. It'll be wonderful to see you again and to share "journey" notes (although my external journey isn't nearly as eventful and exciting as yours -- I got through my b'day and the studio opening with the help of family and friends, but I did miss you). Keep sailing through the wonderful waters of life and enjoying the adventure together. (Dare I say I'm jealous!). Hugs to you both.

Tot: 0.156s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0526s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb