Florida and beyond


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Vero Beach
May 10th 2010
Published: May 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

vitreovitreovitreo

our little visitor
The trip home began in earnest after our two day stay in Turtle Cay. If you ever come this way Turtle Cay is worth a stop. We anchored in the White Sound portion of things, but there is anchoring outside Black Sound and moorings in Black Sound were only $10.00 per night. Black Sound is at the Settlement of New Plymouth, which is a colourful friendly place. The old jail is present, and one can view the old cells. They surely do not look friendly, no light and so on, outside painted the ubiquitous pink found in the Bahamas. Streets are very narrow and mostly drivers are found in golf carts, some of which are very brightly decorated.
We anchored on the North Side of Great Sale cay, an unihabited island that is a favorite jumping off spot for people heading in and out of the Bahamas Island chain. We did not go ashore since we arrived rather late, and left in the morning heading across the banks, into the Gulf Stream and ultimately Florida.
With flukely winds and a strong current it was a bit of a battle. Lightening was visable from several directions, a concern but thankfully
Looking BackLooking BackLooking Back

not my turn at the helm
it did not come close to us. We did drop sail early when a squall approached, but it was not scarily windy, and the rain gave the boat a much appreciated fresh water rinse.
We saw what we originally thought was debris in the water, and turned out to be sea turtles. They were fairly numerous, making us wonder if it was nesting time. Several let the boat come right beside them before they dove. This is a wonderful sight as were the dolphins.
We once again had a hitchhiker, this little bird stayed with us until after we were through the Fort Pierce inlet. She was a busy little bird, hopping around, flying off and coming back aboard. She seemed quite happy to land on our legs, hands, heads and to fly into the cabin of the boat. When I went down to move her out I found her investigating every nook and cranny then happily flew out the hatch to continue her investigation of all things on the deck.
The water creatures and birds are a magical part of sailing on offshore hops. Although there could be concerns, these guys make up for a lot.
The journey home continues after we clear up a little issue.
More soon

Advertisement



18th May 2010

Howdy from Vero
Hi Ruth and Mark. Twas very nice getting a chance to spend some time, since our paths keep crossing. Sorry we didn't squeeze in a dinner or wave you off but later...! Safe journey home. CFG

Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 15; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0414s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb