Tallahassee: The forgotten capital


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Tallahassee
September 12th 2009
Published: September 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Deciding that I don't want to go all the way from New Orleans to Port Charlotte in one go (Greyhound isn't that great after all) I decide to go to Tallahassee, Floridas capital. Yet, this time I don't travel alone: Anna comes along for the ride. As she likes to book hotels in advance, we don't have to worry about where to sleep when we arrive at 4 in the morning, which, I have to admit, isn't the worst thing. Also, you read correctly, we booked a HOTEL. The first (and probably last) hotel on the journey - privacy, queen sized bed, our own shower. Of course there are some minor troubles as we booked online and only paid 15 euros, but who would have expected anything else. Tallahassee itself is not the most exciting town in Florida and was chosen as the capital in 1824 in a fashion not unheard of: You can't decide between two big cities as the capital? Just take one that lies in the middle. Sound familiar?

The next day involves some troubles when getting our car, but after a good hour we are on the road and off to the Wakullah Springs State Park, home to the worlds deepest freshwater spring. It was also the set for several Tarzan movies. After being warned about mosquitoes, ticks, and snakes we attempt a little hike through the swampy park and chill out at the springs later. The evening is spent eating too spicy Chinese food while waiting for the bus to Port Charlotte.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



16th September 2009

Cool, You Are.
I wanna say how cool you are. Do you like Sichuan Dishes? I was born to love it! Have a nice day!

Tot: 0.185s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0544s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb