Northern Florida


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Tallahassee
August 23rd 2009
Published: August 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

I-75 heading north was the usual....just a busy non scenic interstate but it served the purpose to get us heading north. At Ocala we turned on to US 27. I'd not remembered how hilly Florida can be. It was a gorgeous drive on a 4 lane highway with miles of rolling hills, horse farms and huge live oaks covered with Spanish moss. Some of the horse farms were amazing, complete with luxurious barns which could have housed up to about twenty horses. We had intended to take Alternate 27 most of the way but made a wrong turn (and this is just the start of the trip) and ended up traveling along the regular route 27 instead . All was not lost (no pun intended). It turned out to be a lovely peaceful drive through many charming small towns. Besides I got a wonderful cup of coffee and a Florida powerball lottery ticket along the way. Maybe it will be a lucky one seeing as the route was a "mistake". Tallahassee was our destination for the day and we rolled into the city about 7:00pm. It is the capital of Florida and also a college town. It has an impressive looking state capital building located at the end of a long tree lined boulevard. It would have been a great photo but we were heading west, couldn't get out of the car into the busy traffic and the sun was hitting the dirty windshield on the car so I've posted a generic photo from the web. OH WELL !! That was the first of many lost photo ops along the way I'm sure. Actually it was the second because those horse farms were amazing and I didn't get a photo of those either. I'm not doing too well for someone whose passion is photography.
We found a hotel for the night, stopped for some dinner and called it a day.
Tomorrow we plan to head south from Tallahassee and travel west along the panhandles gulf coast.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.187s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 20; qc: 97; dbt: 0.0806s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb