More Beaches II


Advertisement
Published: February 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Great Beaches


February 3, 2010, Wednesday, St. George Island SP to St. Joseph’s Peninsula SP
On our way to St. Joseph’s, we thought we would stop at St. Vincent’s National Wildlife Refuge. We didn’t know it was an island and the private shuttle boat did not seem available?
So on we go out on the peninsula to St. Joseph SP, a sweeping landscape of towering dunes and wilderness. We walked on the beach for a while and began to look for a sign to the Wilderness Preserve. The dunes are protected, but we found the designated trail from the beach and began to walk… and walk… and walk. Of course, the map and other information is “home” in the RV. I heard the refrain …“Forced Death March” again and tried to ignore it. We eventually found cabins and our way “home”. It was a pleasant walk just a bit longer than we expected.

February 4, 2010, Thursday, St. Joseph’s Peninsula SP
Biking was the choice today, and we began a ride along the Cape of San Blas RD, outside the SP to the Cape San Blas Lighthouse. It was a distance of about 11 miles out but the headwinds were tough. A storm is expected tonight and the ocean/wind is churning. If we coast or stop pedaling, we come to a quick stop. The lighthouse was first established in 1847, but like most lighthouses had its “ups and downs”. After years of storms, erosion, etc. in 1996 the lighthouse was deactivated. On our return ride we were also bucking head winds?? But we made it.
With the wind whipping, we went down to the beach to “Go Fly a Kite”. It was perfect for kite flying.

February 5, 2010, Friday, St. Joseph’s Peninsula, SP
What a storm we had last night, the RV was “rocking ‘n rolling”. Around 3 AM Bob went out to tie down the bikes, the winds were incredibly strong. Finally about 5 AM the sky opened up and down came the rains, with lightning and thunder and more wind…quite a show. Inside an RV, I guess the metal, makes the rain seem louder, it was a long night.
After lunch we walked over to see the ocean waves crashing on the shore and the debris left from the storm.

February 6, 2010, Saturday St. Joseph’s Peninsula SP
Today is the WINTER BAY DAY, a Shrimp Boil fund raiser for St. Joseph Bay Preserves Center. So we enjoyed the goodies and made a contribution.




Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



28th February 2010

Do you recommend?
Hi, we were thinking of going to St Joseph more or less on the same dates you were there. We have a spacious tent and mosquito tent for our cooking/eating quarters. Do you think it is too cold to camp at that time, early February, in the non-windy area of the camp? We have a space heater. I would be very grateful for your input, Margarita

Tot: 0.681s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 33; qc: 198; dbt: 0.2603s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb