Friends, Relatives, Fun - Siesta Key, Venice, Sarasota, Florida


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Sarasota » Siesta Key
February 12th 2009
Published: February 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Leaving Turtle Beach would have been hard if we hadn't know how wonderful our next stop - Sun n Fun - a few miles to the east of Sarsota would be. Our neighbors at Turtle Beach tooted (blared) as the sun went down each evening by blowing conchs. We drove the jeep down to Venice to see friends and friends of friends for lunch and came away with impressive insights about low rise condo communities (Bird Bay) a bit away from the beach with tons of ammenities - par 3 golf, pools, tennis, etc. We also were directed to the Jette, a picturesque (even on this foggy day) area we hadn't know about prior. Venice has some awesome thrift shops; I came away with a great pair of purple suede pumps for $3. We had a relaxing beach picnic with Zita and George and then all went up to St. Armand's Circle (we never tire of the place) for ice cream. Wes and I had a snack at the Salty Dog near the Longboat Key Bridge and watched the sun slip down. The Saturday Farmers' Market (7am - 1pm) in downtown Sarasota inspired Wes into thoughts of a new career - running a breakfast/lunch cart at festivals in Florida - long ago his grandfather and grandmother ran a diner called the Lunch Cart. It sounds like a fun endeavor to keep us active when we get older. But for now, it's still GE and DeVoe Associates.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Ann & Joanne at the Jetty, VeniceAnn & Joanne at the Jetty, Venice
Ann & Joanne at the Jetty, Venice

It was fun to catch up with Anne and Doug in Venice.
Best Re-use of Your Old Boat.  Make a Bar!Best Re-use of Your Old Boat.  Make a Bar!
Best Re-use of Your Old Boat. Make a Bar!

At the Old Salty Dog across from the Mote Acquarium near the Lido / Longboat Draw Bridge
Saratota Saturday Morning Farmers'Saratota Saturday Morning Farmers'
Saratota Saturday Morning Farmers'

This is a lively market with Gulf shrimp, local produce, cheeses, baked goods, pastas, landscaping plants, flowers, crafts, prepared foods and more! Downtown Sarasota Saturdays from 7am - 1pm.
New Career - Farmers' Market CatererNew Career - Farmers' Market Caterer
New Career - Farmers' Market Caterer

Wes can see himself flipping burgers and making sausage sandwiches for an appreciative crowd in his next career.
Conch Conkin' at the SunsetConch Conkin' at the Sunset
Conch Conkin' at the Sunset

Two of our neighbors at Turtle Beach cut the ends off large conch shells and blew them like bugles as the sun set. Quite a conch
Valentine's Day Turtle Bay RestaurantValentine's Day Turtle Bay Restaurant
Valentine's Day Turtle Bay Restaurant

We ran into one of Wes's former bosses from GE here having dinner with her niece and nephew on Valentine's Day. The niece took the picture of us. It is such a small world. Dinner was wonderful.


Tot: 0.425s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 28; qc: 111; dbt: 0.151s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb