Day 04 - Savannah (GA) to Pensacola Beach (FL)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Pensacola
December 21st 2009
Published: December 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post



10am: Sanak and I want to make use of the complimentary breakfast today. The gujju in me wants to extract full value for the money I am paying and Sanak doesnt need an excuse to eat anyway. Learnt how to make a waffle today


12noon: We head out to see Savannah.

About Savannah: Savannah is often referred to as the first planned city in US and the prettiest city in US. And its easy to see why. Plenty of quaint old buildings and cobblestone streets right out of story books over here. Lots of interesting stuff here for those interested in history and architecture. Landmarks include one of the oldest African Baptist churches in US, one of the oldest synagogues, St. John's Cathedral etc. The downtown area is one of the largest designated National Historic Landmark Districts in US. Good connectivity through land, rail and water with the interior facilitated trade (especially cotton) in the old days allowing Savannah to prosper and emerge as one of the larger cities in the South. Additionally the city survived the Civil War and William Sherman during his March to the Sea. Trivia - At the end of the siege and his win, the General reportedly offered the city to Abraham Lincoln as a Xmas present.



1pm: We walk along the cobblestoned River Street ducking into roadside shops every once in a while to check out the local wares. Akshay and Sanak chance upon a streetside art dealer...
Akshay: How much for that?
Guy: $180 for this piece
Sanak: I will take two for $100 (he will probably ace his Negotiations class at Notre Dame)


3pm: Stop for lunch at Dominoes. We swing by a discount store next door while our food is being readied..
3:20pm: Akshay and Sanak decide to go use the restroom in the store
3:23pm: Manager rushes out through door. Looks left, looks right, notices us. Jabs his finger at Akshay and Sanak. "Hey man, you use my restroom? Why you use my restroom??"
3:25pm: Rest of us still cant stop laughing. Store manager was just angry at us for using his facilities without making any purchases.



5pm: Drive towards New Orleans begins. We are not sure about our stop for the night. Dhiraj is doing his expert navigation thing: checking out various possible routes, distances and options. "We can take 95 south to Jacksonville and then 10 west to Tallahassee. Or we could take 95 south, take the 295 alternative to loop back with 10 west. We can do Jacksonville > Tallahasse > Panama Beach. Or we can choose to stop at Pensacola before heading back across the bay tomorrow". Sanaks dozing by now, Akshay doesnt care as long he gets to drive, Nehas lost and I barely manage to keep up with him on the map.


7pm: Sanak wakes up. Notices that we are now in Florida. Confusion takes over. "Guys, why are we in Florida???" I know what I am getting him for Xmas this year - a map of US.


10pm: Akshay takes over after Dhiraj and I have done our turns at the wheel. Flashing lights appear in the rearview mirror. Deja vu all over again.

Akshay: @#$%!!(MISSING) @#$%!!(MISSING) @#$%!!(MISSING)

Cop: License and registration, please

Akshay manages to dig it out from somewhere
Cop: Where are you headed to?
Me: Pinacolada?? Penascola???
Cop: Pensacola (whatever...)
Cop: Getting away from the storm, I see. Please wait here. I will be back soon

[we wait]
After a min...
Sanak (whispers): How much do you think the fine will be? I think 100-120
Neha: Less than 100
Me: 80-100 maybe
Akshay: @#$%! @#$%! @#$%!

Sanak (clearly, he is still thinking): acha Akshay, jab wo aayega na, tell him 'Have I met you somewhere? Coz your eyes remind me of someone'...
Neha: haan, flirt with him a li'l bit..
Sanak: Or maybe take him wo jhaadiyon ke peechhe and offer him something...
Me: Neha, stuff a pillow below her shirt and we say that you are about to deliver which is why we were speeding...
Dhiraj: You guys are from India.. Didnt you try slipping him a $10 note with the license?!?
Akshay: @#$%! @#$%! @#$%!


Cop: Sir, this is a 70 zone and my radar had you at 87
Akshay: Oh, I thought I was only doing 80 (as if THAT would have helped!)
Cop: Heres the citation. The court dates at the back
Akshay: But.... I... student... um... But... sorry... ok
Cop: Have a good trip. Drive safely
Akshay: @#$%! @#$%! @#$%!


Everyones scrambling to update their facebook status now. Neha and Sanak are furiously typing away on their phones. I am making sure that we got all our papers back from the cop. Akshay is still stunned. Dhiraj has a contented smile (I aint the only one to get a ticket)


1:30am: We make it to Penascola without collecting any more xmas gifts from the state police. Checked into the beachside Days Inn.


2:00am: Lights out.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.169s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.1081s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb