An American Tradition Experienced...


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Orlando
December 26th 2010
Published: December 27th 2010
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: American Traditions 26 secs
When visiting a foreign domain it is important to partake in some of the local customs so as to learn more about our international neighbours and gain a greater appreciation of their way of life...so today we embraced a time honoured annual tradition started by this very nation and now copied to a lesser degree by even we in the antipodes...the great Boxing Day Sale!!!

And if you are going to enter into such an event, and only have one opportunity to do so, then of course you must select the venue or location that will best expose this national custom...our old friend the Florida Mall!! We have been twice now, the Saturday before Christmas and now Boxing Day...going on an ordinary trading day will be a terrible anti climax.

We did not head there for opening time, we are not completely stupid, but rather casually sauntered into the carpark around 3 pm...we left the car park shortly before 4 pm after having done extensive reconnaissance of the entire car park without successfully battling for one car park. And this in itself caused us to observe a bizarre metamorphisis...that of the polite, friendly and accomodating Floridovian or Orlandite driver into something similar to the 'bad characters' out of the Lord of the Ring trilogy. There was nothing polite, nor remotely friendly in the demeanour once they got off the roads and into the car park. In that environment we deemed it important to note this countries lax gun control laws and constitutional right to bear arms against any that threaten your home...does this extend to a car park you have informally labelled as your own??

So we left! And as we left, a short distance away the children, bless them, spotted a large TOYS R US so we went there instead. This establishment has a huge car park, spartan in occupation, and as my wife then noted - actually closer than some parts of the Florida Mall car park to Sears! Imagine my relief! We entered into TOYS R US for the kids to have a wander around and then walked across to Sears.

The men in our party clearly lack imagination or the connoisseurs sense for these things but this Sears looked remarkably similar to JC Penney, Macys and dare it be said, Farmers! Just a lot bigger than the latter of course. It wasn't busy at all (not!) as people were just standing around...actually they were queueing and some of these queues were more suited to the prime attractions at Universal Studios or Disneyworld rather than waiting to purchase boxer shorts adorned with the head of the Grinch and the phrase 'I've been naughty..' The particular person making this purchase is one that you really did not want to see modelling this teasey little phrase and I suspect the Grinch may have been just a little nervous about when his new owner planned to sit down.

It was a human tsunami! We stayed for around 45 minutes, purchased nothing and left. As we entered each new venue of mayhem Reubs and I sought out an unoccuppied corner and played monopoly on the ipod whilst Sandy went at it with the locals. Poor girl was outclassed I'm afraid. It's unpleasant and so impractical. The stores have all been trashed and the normally neatly folded and displayed stacks of clothing are now literally strewn over tables and the floor near by. Store assistants all look like they are suffering from post trauma stress disorder and no-one, neither customer or vendor are happy or enjoying the experience in the slightest.

We had considered going to the Animal Kingdom today but the weather was dry but bitterly cold with a biting wind. The coldest we have been so far on the trip perhaps...apart from one day in San Francisco or Gaylord Palms 'ICE' display.









Advertisement



27th December 2010

ouch!!!!
sounds like a living nightmare. My sympathies to Michael and Rueben - not how the boys should have to spend Boxing Day even in pursuit of research into strange cultural habits especially those emanating from the land of the free or whatever they call it! Hope your next foray into a mall is more successful but as you know I try to avoid such places. Keep up the blogs! They are great. Lov to all.
27th December 2010

Why oh Why
do we do this to ourselves - got to say that Albany resembled similar especially in the carpark - BUT I won the fight for my front door park - 4WD has its advantages. Man I wish I was there - pity you did not purchase anything but you had to experience it - why would you not - I went back to Albany for a second look and purchased three tops and a quilt for Lucy - anyway would rather be at Florida Mall with you -Sandy that is - with no kids no husbands and a endless supply of money and time!!! would have been fun!!! Shame you did not purchase anything!!!! Look forward to tomorrows up day - see ya!
27th December 2010

Boxing day sale
And you wondered where the phrase boxing day came from. It has nothing to do with boxing up the post Christmas leftovers and sending them to the poor as you might think....it has a lot more to do with the pugilistic sports. Sounds like Hell on earth or as we call it here in the antipodes...Sylvia park,Botany and St Lukes ...Yes it the same here just smaller and when I have a DVD voucher burning a hole in my pocket...well the rest is history. Hope you guys are having a warmer day by the time you read this. What is the long range forecast? Hopefully it is better than yesterday for you. OK take care and love to all. The Swampies xxxxx
28th December 2010

Boxing Day What????
Yep,I've been there -done it in London and NO I don't even have a Tshirt to prove it. However Marks and Spencers is a much more civilised affair and have had great success many times as you know but not on Boxing Day!!! Hope the weather warms up for you.It has not been that warm here but is due to climb tomorrow and looks good for the rest of the week. Keep smiling Sandy there's always tomorrow and New Year of course.Michael keep taking the Valium!!! Love to you all

Tot: 0.166s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0632s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb