T'was the night before Christmas...at Gaylords!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Orlando
December 24th 2010
Published: December 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Ice Slides 13 secs
The Gaylord Wardrobe..The Gaylord Wardrobe..The Gaylord Wardrobe..

Very slimming and very, very necessary..
There is no punchline in the title...that is the name of the hotel / small city / convention centre we went to this afternoon to view an ice carving display! The Gaylord Palms it is called...

The display of seasonal ice sculptures is cleverly titled 'Ice'! This normally would have completely different connotations if at work but here it relates solely to an impressive ice sculpting display. In short it goes through the night before Christmas story with each page or so depicted in a different scene appropriate to that portion of the story. Very cleverly done and the kids really thought it was pretty cool...at minus 9, that it is something of an understatement! They issue you with polar jackets as you enter and you need them.

One of the scenes has a set of stairs with ice balustrades leading up to a landing with ice slides down each side of the stairway...the kids just went up and down that for half an hour whilst mum and dad concentrated on maintaining blood circulation. The display was impressive and something very different and worth doing. The closing displays are of the nativity scene but in uncoloured ice and was
The entrance..The entrance..The entrance..

First step of the path through the night before Christmas story..
really well done and very effective...

After the ice display there is complimentary hot chocolate (and it is most welcome) in the atrium of the Gaylord Palms complex and a accapella christmas sing a long type thing with impressive Christmas lights hanging from the glass ceiling of the 'enormous atrium' and a spectacular Christmas tree. This atrium would be 150 metres plus in diameter and under it there is a small river, a lake, about 8 restaurants, a range of gift shops and the sound stage. A number of the rooms face out onto the atrium. Its impressive, but just a little tacky, and chocker with well heeled older Americans who appear to be their main patrons at this time of year.

Kids just getting ready for bed and anticipating cracking into their plunder in the morning...

All the best to you and yours for the season from us and ours...


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

A mouse other than Mickey!A mouse other than Mickey!
A mouse other than Mickey!

Cleverly done the range of colours and the details in the sculptures..
Frosty and the family..Frosty and the family..
Frosty and the family..

Just starting to feel the cold at this point..
Santa's sleigh...Santa's sleigh...
Santa's sleigh...

Kids are tucked away bottom right somewhere..
Flakey faces..Flakey faces..
Flakey faces..

Kids posing inside an ice sculpture of a snow flake..
Happy campers...Happy campers...
Happy campers...

New trend seems to be snarl rather than smile..
Cold Beer!Cold Beer!
Cold Beer!

This fella sat down for too long on the job and became part of the set...
Nativity set..Nativity set..
Nativity set..

This was the final sculpture and a little more closely aligned to the real Christmas..very impressive..
Christmas and cocoa in the Gaylord Atrium..Christmas and cocoa in the Gaylord Atrium..
Christmas and cocoa in the Gaylord Atrium..

Impressive atrium with great light display..singers tucked away bottom right as an indicator of the size of the tree..


25th December 2010

Happy Christmas
Happy Christmas to you all! So pleased to see you having such a great time! Love you lots!!! Karen & Damian
25th December 2010

Far OUT THAT IS AMAZING
that looks so cooooooooooooll and cold !!!!! We had a good day today although Gilly and I had a few moments of what do we do when in the kitchen without Martha present - but managed just fine!!!! Have a really great Christmas Day tomorrow and I hope Santa managed to find you.
25th December 2010

Christmas Day
Wishing you a merry christmas - have a good day. Will ring later Had a lovely day with Michelle & Stephen and families.
26th December 2010

Missing you at Christmas!!!
Hi Guys,sorry my Christmas message didn't seem to reach you. You look as if you all had a fun day.We had a great day with all the J family in Ballarat.It was a real Christmas feast and present opening with Grandpa J all dressed up as Santa for the present exchange after lunch.We met them all only yesterday and feel like old friends.We all stayed overnight at Darren's sister's home (150 YR OLD FARM HOUSE SET ON 8 ACRES).They were great hosts. We are now back at Darren's home after a very nice Christmas with lovely welcoming folk. Glad that you don't want to make a habit of an Overseas Christmas!!!!but it will be one the kids will never forget. They are having such a fun time. You look as though you all are. Tried to ring a couple of times today around midday but engaged both times. Lots of love to you all and continue to have a fabulous time. ( Sandy how is the shopping going???Are you close to done yet????!!!!!!!)
26th December 2010

Shopping
Hi JB - glad you had a nice Christmas day in OZ with Darrens family. Mum and Dad and Craig and Stef called last night so that is why the phone was engaged. No I have not finished the shopping. Not really started yet. Most of the time we are looking at kids toys and clothes. Hoping to get some solo shopping time soon to have a good look around!

Tot: 0.172s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0583s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb