Wrap Up


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Miami
March 30th 2014
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 25.729, -80.2374

We are home after our 32 day journey. From Windsor, to Cape Horn and back with lots of stops along the way. We did planes, trains, buses and of course boats. We saw natural wonders of the world and man-made wonders of the world. Starting after a quick city tour of Buenos Aires, it was off to the amazing Iguazu Falls. Finally to the ship with a couple of stops before we see the Cape. The weather was as expected for the location but we saw what we came to see, the southernmost point of South America. Now heading north, the southernmost city Ushuaia had spectacular views. Saw our penguins, glaciers and the bonus Orca family. Off through the Chilean Fjords to the Pacific. A rough announcement for some at 6am when we got there. Seas were rough but we made it with no problems. Heading up through the straights of Magellan to what used to be a very important city of Puerto Arenas. Thanks to the Panama Canal, it is just another port town. More Fjords then back to the Pacific and onto Valparaiso the port near Santiago, Chile. About 560 people we doing the back to back like us but a new 1400 people were embarking. Back to a major capital city for a tour after passing through the Casablanca wine region on route. Can't do everything but we did sample lots of Chilean wines on the cruise which of course were featured. Now on Cruise #2, we were lucky enough to meet up with the naturalist on board that gave lectures who had suggested a day trip to Lake Chungara with a snow capped volcano. What a great day with some beautiful pictures. But Machu Picchu is waiting. Next port is Lima and we are off to the airport for our 3 day trek to Machu Picchu. Cusco was the center of the Inca world and all roads(trails) led there and that is where we started our journey. A city tour, a visit to the ruins of Sacsaywuman that were used to build a lot of Cusco after the Spanish arrived. The site must have been impressive. What is left is only 30% and the walls are still 6m high. After an overnight stay in Urubamba at the amazing Arawna Hotel, we started with more ruins before boarding the Orient Express Hiram Bingham to Machu Picchu. Pictures are one thing but seeing this magnificent creation in person is another. To imaging something being built 1450-1540 on a mountain top of this scale is amazing. Our 3 hours were not enough but we have a ship to catch. Back to Cusco for a night, 2 flights with a 3 hour delay and Infinity waits off shore in Manta for our return. Now onto the Panama Canal. It takes about 8 hours to go from Ocean to Ocean. The locks are celebrating 100 years in operation and it works like clockwork. From the Pacific, we passed through 2 locks (Miroflores) then a short distance to another (Pedro Miguel) then into the manmade cuts and lake for the journey towards the Atlantic. The cuts and lake were amazing too. It is not a straight journey with lots of turns and other ships. The Gatun locks have 3 sections and then we are in the Atlantic. I hope some of you saw us passing through either the Miroflores or Gatun locks. I heard at least one did! We stopped at Colon. Only 4 hours and there is not much there! Back to sea and then to Cartagena. A very old city and a very new city. Lots of history and colours. Two more sea days and we arrive in Miami. Taxi to the airport and flight back to Detroit. Thanks to Bob & Bonnie for the airport transportation.

Highlights: Iguazu Falls, Lake Chungara views, Machu Picchu and the Panama Canal.

Best part is sharing the time with the one you love!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.172s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0347s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb