Day Two - Miami Port


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Miami
April 20th 2014
Published: June 21st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 25.729, -80.2374

Morning always dawns early the day after an TA flight. More so for Peter it seems as he is up and out of bed at 3.30am. Even though I am wide awake I refuse to get up and roll over until sleep returns. I finally awake around 6.30. Peter has also returned to bed at some point. We are both up to watch the sunrise. Cruise ships are already moored at Miami Port. Our ship Adventure of the Seas I am reliably informed arrived around 4.30 this morning.

We have breakfast in the club room at the hotel before we decide to take an early morning walk. the weather is glorious. there are plenty of joggers and cyclists about. we stroll through Bayside Park and end up at a CVS chemist where Peter buys a jaunty little hat for the cruise. As follicley challenged individuals we have to be careful to protect our heads in the sun.

We spend the rest of the morning in our room making sure we have everything before we head to the port. We call for a bellboy to come take our luggage and head down to the lobby to check out. The lifts are so busy it stops at every floor down from the 32nd each time to the disappointed faces of people who realise there is no room for them in the lift.

We are soon in a cab making the short distance to the port. Check in is quick and efficient. As we are suite guests on this trip we have the all important gold cards that give us a few extra perks when on board. Once on the ship we make the obligatory trip to the Windjammer for lunch. It's a zoo and not a seat to be had. We end up eating outside on the pool deck.

At 1.30 we hear someone mention the rooms are open and so we head down to deck 10 and stateroom 1324, a Grand Suite. I immediately notice a bouquet of red roses with a note from Peter. He is disappointed as they were not meant to be delivered until my actual birthday on the 22nd. I think it's funny and apt as Royal Caribbean did something similar for my 40th when they put some room decorations up prematurely. I like consistency.

Firmin our stateroom attendant introduces himself and asks if we need anything. We answer just our bags. They turn up eventually, one a few hours later than the rest. The room is lovely, and big. The balcony is very long and slightly curved as our cabin in situated at the rear of the hump. There are a set of binoculars in the room which will be very handy for spotting pirates at long range😊

As Peter is a regular poster on Cruise Critic he had arranged to meet up with some fellow posters from the roll call at the pool bar at 2.30pm. We meet a lot of new and friendly people. We enjoy some beers as we get to know them. Sadly must drill is approaching and is compulsory. we only have one late arrival in our group and we are able to get back to our cabin quickly. We crack open the champers and AOS pulls out of Miami shortly before 5pm.

As there are over 400 Diamond/Diamond Plus members this sailing it's impossible to all fit into the Diamond Lounge (as suite guests we also have access to the Concierge Lounge but with all the D plus onboard that too is overcrowded). instead they hold it in the Imperial Lounge on Deck 5.

We head to dinner with Sue and Malc feeling a little tipsy from all the beer, champers, cocktails and wine. we each get a chocolate Easter egg as it's Easter Sunday. Feeling shattered by now all I can think of is my bed which is where I head to straight away.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.235s; Tpl: 0.026s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0445s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb