Returning Home to Miami


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Miami
May 6th 2011
Published: May 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Who says you can't go home? We flew into Miami Thursday night. We headed out Friday morning to visit my birthplace. We went by the house where we lived for a few years with my Grandmother following my parents divorce. My Mother was born and raised in the same house. Yes, it is till there, it looks very different, but it still made me feel so special. My Great Aunt also lived 2 houses down the street. Her house was still there too. We then went down the road to the elementary school, Coral Way Elementary. It is still a Bilingual Elementary School. We went in and tour the school. It is very beautiful. The entire school is built around an enormous courtyard with gigantic trees and gardens. As a student, we used to have assemblies in the courtyard under the trees.
We drove through several parts of Miami, Coral Gables, and down to the Coral castle in Homestead. I have told people about this wonder for years. I was so glad to be able to share this place with Ed. Coral Castle was built by one man over a period of 20 years, by himself. The castle is built entirely out of slab of solid coral rock . The 5' , 100 lb. man quarried, moved, carved and created his "Castle" completely by himself. As a kid we toured the castled and I always heard that with a 4th grade education he studied math, science and engineering to create this miracle. All of the furniture is also solid coral rock. There is a three ton gate , weighing 6,000 lbs, that is balanced on the axle of a model T Ford. You can move it with one finger! There is also a Polaris telescope and a sundial that is still accurate within 1 minute.
Back to Downtown Miami for a cruise through south Beach. We had dinner in Little Havana, fanatstic Cuban Food! Then back to the hotel and across the street to a raw Bar


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Three ton GateThree ton Gate
Three ton Gate

Still moves with the touch of a finger


Tot: 0.283s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 59; dbt: 0.1452s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb