Miami Must


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Miami
November 1st 2006
Saved: July 14th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Miami Must



Beautiful people abound at Miami's world class beaches. Be prepared to work on your tan and people watch in the historic Art Deco beachfront restaurants and cafes of South Beach. Take a lesson from one of the numerous models and work off those unsightly pounds until 7AM at some of the hottest dance clubs anywhere.



South Beach- SoBe sizzles with a sensual energy, glitz, a latin beat, and a fashionable and trend-setting youth culture. This Southern portion of the island-city of Miami Beach has art deco buildings that are palatial masterpieces or boutique gems. Developed in the first half of the 20th century, it's businesses include art galleries, modeling agencies, performing arts theatres, shops, fashion magazines, Sony Music's Latin American HQ and a Spanish-language TV station. Plus, endless bars and restaurants - from funky to sophisticated. If for no other reason, visitors come for it's legendary beach.
Downtown- Nicknamed the Magic City for its beauty and vibe, Miami is a tropical hub of business, entertainment, tourism, and most of all people. Miami-Dade County has the highest percentage of immigrants in the U.S. and has thousands of transplants from all over the country. Downtown's soaring skyscrapers against the backdrop of Biscayne Bay provide a stunning panoramic mix of nature and humanity, especially at night when it has a vibrant neon glow.
Little Havanna- Since 1959 Miami has been transformed by the influx of hundreds of thousands of Cuban immigrants. Most of them settled in a 30-block area near downtown Miami known as Little Havana. Although this is not Miami's most glamorous area for tourists, it would be a mistake to pass by the opportunity.Immerse yourself in the culture with a walk along the main drag of Calle Ocho. Little Havana embodies the essence of Miami's vibrant population.
Coral Gables- Stunning Spaniard inspired architecture distinguishes this neighborhood. Wide streets, fountains, plazas with pale pastel Mediterranean Revival buildings and the occasional MiMo (Miami Modern) and post-modern creations; gardens are dense with native foliage. With only 45,000 residents, Coral Gables harbours the elite of greater Miami and Latin America. Miracle Mile boasts countless shops and venues, as well.
Coconut Grove- Settled by northern industrialists, european nobles, Bahamian laborers, Key West fishermen, and defeated Southerners trying to reestablish their lives, this village was once know as the bohemian hub with artists from all over the country. Today it is celebrated for it's annual Arts Festival and intense shopping culture.
The Keys- The 45 islands that make up this archipelago are perfect for deep-sea and bonefishing. Ending at the famed city of Key West, an island whose architectural charm and lush landscape of banyan and Key Lime trees, and such exotics as jasmine and tuberose were not lost on such famous visitors like Ernest Hemingway, Tennessee Williams, and President Truman. Today it is one of the country's most visited destinations.

PICKZ


Restaurant- Located in the Mandarin Oriental, AZUL, has been regarded for years as Miami's best restaurant and it more than lives up to all expectations. For a more practical, no-reservations-needed, alternative, News Cafe in SoBe at 800 Ocean, is well known by locals and boasts great food/prices. You'll be amazed how many fashion models chill here!
Bar/Club- If you want to chill with celebs and fashion models, Opium Garden will satisfy your every whim. Another less touristed celeb hangout, Nikki Beach Club which is half on the beach opitimizes the Miami scene. Highly regarded as the best club in all of Miami, Mansion will not dissapoint those looking for a good time. Boasts the largests dancing venues, best Dj's, chandaliers, and hottests mixed crowds. Truely not to be mixed. Score and Crobar are other favorites.
Shopping- SoBe has most shops along Lincoln Street and Collins Avenue Downtown boasts the highest concentration of store fronts and complexes and well as any of the discount variety. If you're looking to truely do some power-shopping, stick to Flagler Street.
Hotel- Undoubtably, The Delano in SoBe is the newest and my personal favorite. Flawless in every regard and designed by Philppe Starck, this oceanfront hotel is chic yet casual and boasts a rooftop spa, cabanas, pool, and 360 degree view of South Beach. Though, it is hard to choose a bad hotel in the greater Miami area, The Raleigh and Sagamore Hotel are nearly as spectacular. Alas, if you come to Miami with the intention of relaxing and taking it easy (not part of the Miami culture), then the Mandarin Oriental, located on it's own island, is your number one choice.

Additional Comments:
Trying to include an excursion of less than two days to Key West while in Miami is not adviseble. With driving time averaging 4-5hrs, it is impossible to have a fullfilling detour to Key West in a days time. For a uniquely Key West crowd, check out Captain Runaground Harvey's Floating Restaurant. This two-story floating pub is the place to take in the town's spirit. Public transportation, though available near the Downtown areas, is not present on South Beach so be prepared to copy down those taxi numbers. Your hotel has complimentary taxi number cards. With all there is to see in Miami, your options are only limited by you length of stay. Also, it is generally common for clubs and bars to charge at the door. Door prices are comprible to those in Los Angeles.

COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom



Comments only available on published blogs

Tot: 0.164s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0521s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb