A Stop in Miami


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Miami Beach
January 15th 2011
Published: January 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

DockwiseDockwiseDockwise

As we sailed past Ft Lauderdale on the way to Miami Dockwise was achored off shore. I Wanda shipped from the Med to Newport on a Dockwise yacht transport.
January 15, 2011

A Stop in Miami

One of the places we enjoy stopping with the boat is Miami Beach. Lots of choices to anchor and access to many locations via dinghy make this a cruiser-friendly spot. You could say it USED toi be better when cruisers could use the Miami Yacht Club facilities for a reasonable fee. In those days you could get your mail, dispose of trash in bags they provided, take a shower and have lunch or happy hour at the Club. All very civilized, but stopped when some cruisers took advantage of of the club and disposed of trash without paying. Now we are told you cannot even land your dinghy. Still we enjoy coming to Miami Beach to stroll along the Lincoln Street pedestrian mall to shop and people watch or walk on the beach. There is a nice laundry an easy walk from the canal where you can tie up the dinghy and a fabulous Publix grocery store for provisioning. Even closer the is epicure, a gourmet grocery and a very well stocked Ace hardware store.

We could not help but notice that we enjoyed the stop MUCH more this year than
Govt CutGovt CutGovt Cut

the main entrance into Miami
last when the weather was FREEZING. This year we had sunny skies and 75 degree days and cool nights for sleeping. Perfect. We contacted old cruising friends and were able to connect with some and making plans to see others later in the cruising year. We both love Cuban food and there are ample choices for Cuban food and coffee in Miami. The coffee is strong and sweet and inexpensive. Nothing wrong with that!

At the end of the day you can return to your boat in a calm anchorage (if you have chosen your spot well) and enjoy a quiet evening. We anchored between Palm and Hibiscus islands all by ourselves. Well protected from all wind directions, it suffers only daytime cruise boats pointing out the former home of Al Capone. You could hear the director quizzing passengers to guess what famous Chicago gangster had lived here. We snorted when the reply “OJ Simpson” was given. At least we didn’t hear Obama offered up.

This year’s stop was very short as the weather seemed to be cooperating and before we knew it our window to cross the Gulf Stream towards the Bahamas was upon us.



Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Ships Loading in alternate ChannelShips Loading in alternate Channel
Ships Loading in alternate Channel

When you cannot use Government Cut (when more than two cruise ships are in port) you take the alternate channel to the South where all the container ships are loading and unloading.
Ship LoadingShip Loading
Ship Loading

It is an automated sytem that is very impressive.
Cruise ship in our turnCruise ship in our turn
Cruise ship in our turn

As we turned back north a Cruise ship was protruding right into our path. So much for diverting traffic away from them!
Line of cruise ships in MiamiLine of cruise ships in Miami
Line of cruise ships in Miami

Government Cut has numerous cruise ships on the day we arrive.
Bridge in the anchorageBridge in the anchorage
Bridge in the anchorage

We ahchored between Palm and Hibiscus Islands and this lovely bridges spans the canal.
I Wanda anchored in MiamiI Wanda anchored in Miami
I Wanda anchored in Miami

We were the only boat anchored between Palm and Hibiscus. Very calm except for the tourist boat!
Tour boat in the anchorageTour boat in the anchorage
Tour boat in the anchorage

Al Capone had a place in Miami and the tour boats want to show it off. We heard their presentation each time.
Dinghy under the BridgeDinghy under the Bridge
Dinghy under the Bridge

Looking towards Miami Beach as the dinghy heads under the bridge.
Dinghy CanalDinghy Canal
Dinghy Canal

This is the primary canal used by cruisers to access Miami Beach. Easy access to Publix grocery a good hardware store (that sells hack saws) and downtown Miami Beach.
Dinghy landingDinghy landing
Dinghy landing

this is the spot we chose to tie up the dinghy for a walk on shore. Used a big chain-- and then the key wouldn't work.
Lincoln StreetLincoln Street
Lincoln Street

The symphony is only one of many wonders along Lincoln pedestrian mall
Antiques anyoneAntiques anyone
Antiques anyone

We have never seen more gaudy stuff and the store was jam packed!
NapoleonNapoleon
Napoleon

This stature looks like the famoius painting by David
Fountain in the MallFountain in the Mall
Fountain in the Mall

There are many fountains and street sculptures decorating the pedestrain mall
Gun DepotGun Depot
Gun Depot

We did not go in to see what exactly a gun depot is...
Cafe cubanoCafe cubano
Cafe cubano

This is a favorite stop for Cuban food and coffee
Lining up for CoffeeLining up for Coffee
Lining up for Coffee

you can get a Cafe Cubano right in the street, and folks line up!
Chocoale or Ice Cream?Chocoale or Ice Cream?
Chocoale or Ice Cream?

This is a favorite stop on the Lincoln pedestrian mall. The answer is usually BOTH!


28th January 2011

Linc oln Mall
I was there last Sunday, helping a friend with her antique bookend display. They have special events every other weekend, right there in the Mall. Lovve the place. Your blog brought back so many fond memories - we did EXACTLY the stuff you are doing. Favorite anchorage too. We have a friend who lives on Hibiscus Island.

Tot: 0.221s; Tpl: 0.034s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0705s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb