Madison Blue Spring State Park in Lee, Florida


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Madison
October 27th 2016
Published: October 27th 2016
Edit Blog Post

On a chilly December afternoon in 2015, a good friend and frequent travel companion asked whether I knew about the natural springs in Madison county, Florida. I said I had heard of them yet never seen them. I was pleasantly surprised when he told me that the best one is only a ten-minute drive from his home. So we headed off to take photos and explore Madison Blue Spring State Park. It is officially in Lee, Florida; however Lee is so tiny that it often does not show up on maps and therefore the spring is often listed as being in Madison, Florida.

The crystal blue of the spring water is so beautiful and rocks and fish are easily viewable through the clear water. It is very cold and flows into the Withlacoochee river. The 82-foot-wide by 25-foot-deep spring is surrounded by natural beauty in the form of pines, oaks, and other trees that are draped in Spanish moss. There are wooden steps descending into the cold water. There are pathways and hiking trails along which one can see many native plants including holly and ivy. The squirrels in that area are rather friendly and will come up close to inspect the humans. Also, don't be surprised to encounter scuba divers and nature lovers at all times of the year here.

This is a small park with a few picnic tables. It is simply a great location for a cold swim, a relaxed picnic, watching wildlife, and snapping some pictures. For an awesome quiet little place to truly appreciate nature, a visit to Madison Blue Spring State Park is definitely an excellent choice.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.05s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0426s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb