This is what I'm talking about!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Long Key
March 8th 2014
Published: March 10th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Now this is what I'm talking about! We arrived on the Keys only to be stuck in one traffic jam after another, but it's easy to see why everybody wants to be here.

We left little Quebec, a nick name for my last campground because of all the French Canadians, about 12:30 pm and headed south on the turnpike then south on US 1. So did the rest of the world. It was an easy drive with a beautiful cool breeze as a cold front went through the night before. So instead of 85 and humid, it was 72 and clear as a bell. So at each traffic stop there was a delightful breeze with a smell of the ocean to it which made the waiting tolerable.

We arrived at Curry Hammock State Park, on Marathon Is, about 4 pm and settled into our wonderful camping spot. I have to include pictures here, it's roomy, private and level! I immediately went by way of a little path to the picnic area and there was the ocean, calm as a pond. Some pelicans were feasting on small fish by shore so I grabbed my camera and snapped away. Pictures

There were some people from Michigan and we chatted a while about what a wonderful campground this is. They had been here 3 years ago and the vegetation was just starting to grow at that time after a terrible hurricane. It has grown so much now that people are putting chairs on the picnic table to sit and watch the ocean. The plus side is the privacy. Each campsite has a thick vegetation buffer on all sides except the drive-way, with most of the sites so deep that you can barely see the road.

The restroom is built up a floor and is of the composting toilet variety, and solar hot water. It is very clean and does not smell at all and I had all the hot water for a wonderful shower. You have to walk up a flight of steps every time but the view is worth it.

Meanwhile back at the ocean, the pelicans were still going strong and were joined by other shore birds. Then the daily spectacle of sunset began. It was a colorful sight that Mother Nature put on and some of the birds were so co-operative to just stand in the right place to improve the picture.

I loved it, just had a great time shooting pictures trying to get the right lighting and the fast action of the pelicans hitting the water. I either over-led them or wasn't quick enough to capture the pelican on their way into the water. They are fast!

So I settled in for the night, editing some pictures and when the eyes wouldn't stay open anymore, decided to finish in the morning.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0515s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb