Shuttle Launch!!!


Advertisement
Published: March 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Discovery:  STS 119Discovery:  STS 119Discovery: STS 119

in the air...and we were there!!!
(Park of the Palms)

I don’t know how it could have been ten days since I blogged. And, again, I have so much to tell you about, but HIGH on the list is that we watched the liftoff of Discovery Space Shuttle! Five of us drove to Titusville (135 miles), and got a wonderful spot just across the Indian River from the launch site! The whole town had sort of a carnival atmosphere, and the event was made even more magnificent to be viewing it with other people that were so excited~~both people we knew, and people we didn’t!

We got there about an hour and a half before liftoff, which was about what we’d planned. We picked up dinner after we got into Titusville, and just ate there. We were in a small grassy area right along the river; most of the shoreline was overgrown with bushes, etc, but we had quite a large opening to watch through, and were also able to follow it once it was in the air. It was spectacular!! We saw the steam come out all around it, and then watched it rise in the air, and it went up faster than
You can see the steam at the bottomYou can see the steam at the bottomYou can see the steam at the bottom

of the rocket. My camera wouldn't separate the shuttle from the fireball, but I'll try to get some of Ron's pictures, because he has a better camera. (I'm not complaining, just stating a fact!)
I expected…on tv it seems like it begins rather slowly, but it doesn’t! There wasn’t any sound with it, which surprised everyone in the crowd, but then when the shuttle turned a bit we could hear the roar from the engines, which, by then, were pointed in our direction, plus the sound from the liftoff had traveled across the river, so it was loud. It was so bright, and with the sun just setting, the cloud left behind just glowed! We later remembered that there is a pond behind the launch pad that is built so that much of the sound is shot that direction, as well as the energy from the engines. When the shuttle went up, everyone started cheering, and some people started singing “God Bless America”! It almost made me cry. It was just so awesome to watch. We all stood there watching long after the shuttle was just a dot in the sky! I never thought I would get the chance to watch a shuttle launch!

We were standing near a man who is a professional (freelance) photographer~~you’ll see pictures of his cameras. He was extremely interesting to talk to, as he’s been all over the world taking pictures. He’s seen many launches, and knew quite a bit about the inner workings. He may not have been telling the truth about everything (Bob’s disclaimer: “Just because he tells you that doesn’t mean it’s true”!) He was telling of being in Cambodia taking pictures, and showed where he was shot (arm) and where he was stabbed by them. Anyway, he was nice enough to let all of us look through his 1000x cameras. I don’t remember his last name, and I intended to, because I wanted to watch for his photos. That wasn't a big part of the evening, but just another fun piece of the whole experience!



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Separation of the booster rockets.Separation of the booster rockets.
Separation of the booster rockets.

These tanks were recovered at St. Augustine, 93 miles from Cape Canaveral.
Isn't this gorgeous?Isn't this gorgeous?
Isn't this gorgeous?

I can see the three fireballs in my photo, but once I put it on the website it's hard to see the boosters. See the little curly part half way down the smoke trail? Keep an eye on it....
See the curly part?!See the curly part?!
See the curly part?!

This was probably 30 minutes after liftoff.
My last shot--My last shot--
My last shot--

You'll notice the shuttle is nowhere in sight, but we're still there watching! The weather couldn't have been better. The whole evening was just incredible!
While the shuttle was on the groundWhile the shuttle was on the ground
While the shuttle was on the ground

it was kind of hazy, but the sky cleared before take off. The launch pad is to the left of the big building (remember: the third largest in the world, by volume) next to the water tank. You can't hardly see it in this photo, and it was the best one.
Watching through our field glasses.Watching through our field glasses.
Watching through our field glasses.

This is during the hour we were waiting--nothing was happening across the river, but we spent a lot of time watching it not happening!
Is this a camera or what?Is this a camera or what?
Is this a camera or what?

Bob figured he (that's Warren, the photographer) could count the astronauts' nose hairs with that lense!


17th March 2009

WOW! How cool!
17th March 2009

:)
Im so glad you got to watch, and SO glad it was as exciting as you thought it would be! Those are some great pictures too. PS- "a'most" cried?? I think anyone who knows you, knows you cried mom :)
18th March 2009

Hi, Sara!
Yes, VERY cool!!
18th March 2009

Hi, Lisa!
Well I didn't blubber...just sniffled while I was "almost" crying!
18th March 2009

When I heard that the launch had taken place, I thought that you had contacted them to insure that they get that done while you were in the area. You have more connections than I realized!! An experience that you deserve to see. I laughed about Bob's disclaimer statement. You girls didn't cut you any slack about the tears, who made them so wise.
19th March 2009

Hi, Bev!
I'd like someone to think I have that much clout! But you do know how thrilled we were when we found out they were going to launch! It was so incredible. (I don't know how Lisa was able to guess about the crying!)

Tot: 0.241s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1503s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb