Snorkeling Adventure at Sand Key Lighthouse


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Keys » Key West
June 4th 2008
Published: June 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sand Key LighthouseSand Key LighthouseSand Key Lighthouse

South of Key West
Today was just all around another great day. After breakfast and cleaning up, we decided to take the sailboat out to Sand Key Lighthouse where there is another portion of the huge reef that lays a few miles off the Keys all the way down. The lighthouse reef is just as amazing as Looe Key. It only takes about an hour to get to Sand Key from Key West, so it was not a bad trip.

We were the only boat there when we arrived, but within an hour, there were 3 or 4 of those huge catamarans filled with people. Fortunately, we were off in our own little corner of the reef. After snorkeling for a while, we changed moorings and went over to the back side of the reef where the water was like a swimming pool. We hung out there for a while and just enjoyed the scenery.

Josh was eating an apple and he threw a piece of it into the water. The Jacks all swam to the surface to munch on his apple bites. Before long, a big Barracuda decided to check us out. He brought a friend along as well. While they aren't all that clear in this photo, you can definitely tell that there's something in the water!

After we came back from snorkeling, we decided to take a dip in the pool and then head in for showers. We walked over to Alonzo's for dinner and then hit the famous Key West Ice Cream Parlor for a cone. We're off to bed early tonight, because the plan is to go fishing tomorrow morning on a 1/2 day charter! We'll be up bright and early to depart at 7 a.m. Hopefully, we'll have lots of pictures of dolphin tomorrow!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Josh & IleneJosh & Ilene
Josh & Ilene

Enjoying the evening!
Scott & IleneScott & Ilene
Scott & Ilene

At Alonzo's
Key West Bight Harbor Key West Bight Harbor
Key West Bight Harbor

Just After Sunset


Tot: 0.24s; Tpl: 0.053s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0871s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb