Key West May/June 2008


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Keys » Key West
May 31st 2008
Published: June 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

May 31st, 2008

This weekend we decided to take a trip to Key West with our friends Summer and Dave to get away from the crazy, dis-attached life of Miami/Ft. Lauderdale living.

On the trip down we stopped at our trust restaurant just before the 7-mile bridge and enjoyed a pitcher of Key West ale and some freshly caught sea food.

We arrived in Key West at around 3:30pm and checked into the Best Westen just 2 blocks from Duval street and 1.2 miles from Mallory square. The hotel was immaculately clean and very nicely decorated, not to mention reasonably priced.

We didn't waste anytime before hitting Duval street to meander the many tourist-driven boutiques and vendors. Summer and I purchased one of those skirt/dress wrap things. The lady at the store showed us many different ways to wear it, but I feel we're going to have a hell of a time figuring it out. After a couple of ours and a few beers of walking around in the 96 degree heat, we returned to our hotel for a quick dip in the pool and to get ready for our night out at Mallory Square. Although we took a little too long in the pool and had to high-tail it to Mallory Square not to miss the sunset, we made it just in time to catch the last 10 minutes. The famous square was crowded with tourists and locals alike looking at the vendors goods and being entertained by the buskers. There was a cuban restaurant nearby that had latin music playing and people dancing salsa as the sun was setting, and smoking cigars.

We wandered around a little longer before finding a place to eat called the Cheese-Burger. The food was terrible and expensive for what they offered. The burgers were pan-seared despite the waitresses claim that they were grilled and no sides came with the 10 dollar meal. Three beers, 4 burgers and 1 basket a fries later the bill was a wopping 72$! Absurd. Never again. After the meal we were all very tired and returned to the hotel for a good nights sleep.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0971s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb