Key West


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Keys » Key West
December 12th 2006
Published: January 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Me, my bike and the Southern most point in the U.S.A.Me, my bike and the Southern most point in the U.S.A.Me, my bike and the Southern most point in the U.S.A.

Just two blocks from our bed and breakfast.
Key West Florida is the Southernmost City in the Continental United States. In this little tropical paradise a common man, tourist, can walk in the footsteps of some of most celebrated of celebrities this country has ever produced This little place was one of the favorite haunts of Ernest Hemingway, Tennessee Williams, Robert Frost and President Harry Truman. More about these celebrities in a later blog. It was also the hometown of George Mira, the great All American quarterback for the Miami University Hurricanes.

Key West is closer to Havana Cuba than Miami. It is about a three-hour drive from Miami. It is 160 miles over one bridge after another. Havana Cuba is only 90 miles.

It many Cuba historic connections. Many Cubans moved to Key West during Cuba’s unsuccessful war for independence from Spain in the 1860s This made Key West the largest manufacture of cigars in the US at one time. The Cuban’s also brought their love of Cockfighting. When this was outlawed, the chickens were turned loose and to this day chickens have the run of Key West. They start crowing about two hours before sunrise. This can be disturbing but don’t even think about doing anything about it. The Key West people like the chickens so much they have a 200-dollar-fine for anyone molesting a chicken.

Key West is flat so it is a biking paradise. The biking is well supported with a great bike store and many bike rental shops around town. They have all kinds of bikes. Two-wheelers, three-wheelers and even cyclos like in Vietnam. They also have many battery-operated vehicles that can be rented.

I noticed the Catholic Church is built on the style of Vietnam’s Gothic Catholic Churches. All along the side you have these huge double doors that can be opened for air and so the overflow can sit outside and still view the service. The difference is in Vietnam the Church would be overflowing. In Key West, I noted a sparsely attended service.

They have hundreds of restaurants. I was told all were good. Linda and I had no luck because we were served rubber fish at a huge price. That was one of our great disappointments in Florida. We have had better fish and a better price in Kansas than in Florida. Go figure.

Overall, it was a great place. When I find a place I like I am inclined to look at the real estate guides to see what it would cost to live there. I was out of luck. The prices were astronomical. No place for a common man.



Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Our bed in the B & BOur bed in the B & B
Our bed in the B & B

Small room but nice.


Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0483s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb