On the road Florida Keys part 1


Advertisement
Published: January 21st 2005
Edit Blog Post

“If I wait for perfect conditions I'll never begin

Plan for what is difficult while it is easy, do what is great while it is small.” Sun Tzu





January 21, 2005, Friday. Before leaving the Everglades, we stopped at the Anhinga Trail, a photo heaven. It was bursting with birds and ‘gators, as well as bird watchers and photographers.
Our next stop is the Keys, and John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park. We hoped to stay here, but it seems people make reservations a year in advance. So we took a trip into the mangroves by kayak and found a campground down the road a bit. We did some biking before dinner, laundry and bed! Well our campground, Calusa, was the campground from Hell. The noise level was awful until well after 1AM. Little did we know, the best was yet to come? At 4AM a group of crazy roosters started crowing. The crowing continued until we finally gave up and decided to go biking.

January 22, 2005, Saturday. We biked several miles and had breakfast then biked a bit more before returning to “rooster world”. Well we shook the rooster dust from our sandals and moved on.
As we continued our travels through the Keys, we decided to play a leapfrog bike ride. Kelly took
KayakKayakKayak

This his Bob and his kayak
her bike with her cell phone, and Bob drove off in the Bothan. We established 20 miles down Highway 1, as our meeting point. Kel was following the Florida Seaway Heritage Trail, which was part secluded trail, part road biking and part undefined. Bob called on his cell and gave directions where he was leaving the Bothan, and he took off on his bike. Kel found the vehicle, hooked up her bike, and drove past Bob to another meet-up point. It was cool!
We found a small quiet campground, no roosters! We met some folks from Canada/Vermont with a Sprinter converted by Airstream. The “fit and finish” is fancier than the Bothan, but the Bothan is more “homey”. Bob has a dream of starting a club of people with Sprinters.
It was still early so we did some more biking, before showers and dinner. It was a little over 40 miles of biking. After a nice dinner we took a walk and stopped for some “key” lime pie!



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Draw bridgeDraw bridge
Draw bridge

Have you ever waited on a drawbridge on a bikeride
Roosters home Roosters home
Roosters home

You should stay away from this place


Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 14; qc: 28; dbt: 0.03s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb