Visit to Trapper Nelson's


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Hobe Sound
March 2nd 2015
Published: March 3rd 2015
Edit Blog Post

Trapper Nelson



Didn't make it to sunrise this morning but Oscar and I did have a long early walk. He is feeling much better and is hungrier than ever. We didn't encounter any critters on the walk but we enjoyed the view, the smells and the beautiful breeze.



We made it home in time for me to get ready to go on the 11 am tourist cruise up the Laxahatchie River. I took the cruise last year but wanted another ride on the water to enjoy the wildlife, water and scenery. There are many Osprey nests along the way, turtles sunning themselves, and we even saw 2 baby allegators trying to catch the rays. The river is high because of all the rain but it is influenced by the tide as the mouth of the river is brackish. There are mangroves growing in the lower part of the river, then the next section is a combination of salt and fresh water plants and trees, with mangrove and palm trees. Then the cyprus trees start to grow in the upper part of the river where it becomes all fresh water and the vegetation that thrives in that environment. There are giant ferns and cyprus trees dripping with spanish moss amoung the fresh water plants.



We stopped at Trapper Nelson's place and heard the story of his life. He was a real time Tarzan who lived off the land and had a zoo for the tourists in the winter that came to escape the cold. He even had 2 cabins for rent. He trapped animals for their hides, sold fire wood, and collected money from any visitors to his zoo. He captured racoons, possum, birds, anything he could find. He even had a 12 ft allegator that he would wresle for the enjoyment of the group. He died of mysterous means in the 1950's.



After the cruise I came back to the camper and sat and read my book for a while then worked on the wind chime.



Oscar and I walked to sunset on the river and as it went down I talked to a man from New Brunswick who was here getting out of the snow, like all of us. It was enjoyable talking with him until the bugs started biting, then it was a fast trip home.



It was a beautiful day and very enjoyable.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0942s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb