Sanibel Island


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Estero
March 15th 2018
Published: March 16th 2018
Edit Blog Post

blog 03-15-18 Sanibel Island

No walk today, Watson is coming with me to Sanibel and there will be enough walking there. We headed out by 11 am and took the scenic route to the Island. It was absolutley beautiful going over several bridges and island hopping, enjoying the colors of the water and the powder white sand beaches. Only one problem, the traffic was horrific.

Finally, there was the bridge to Sanibel with a $6.00 toll. Oh well, it will be well worth the price. There are 2 parks on the causway to Sanibel and they looked so inviting especially since they had restrooms. We stopped and after a short delay I took Watson for a walk around the small island. We both needed the stop and the walk and we were finally ready to continue.

My first stop on Sanibel was the visitor's center where there was a sign on the ramp to the door that read, "Please wipe snow from shoes before entering the building." Oh they just had to do it!

I got the name of the best place to get a sandwich and the perfect place to beach it, what more can you want. With lunch in hand I headed to Bowman's Beach along with 10,000 other cars. There is so much traffic in this section of Florida, I can't believe there is anybody left up north. It was well after 1:30 by the time the car was parked and as I waited in line to pay at a kiask for parking a woman handed me her ticket and said it had almost 2 more hrs on it if I could use it. Wow, what luck! That's $10.00 worth of time...

The beach was crowded but there was room so we picked a spot, set up the chair and sat overlooking the hazy turquoise water, smelling the salty breeze. I had half my lunch and Watson had a few bisquets and water and we enjoyed the beach for 1 1/2 hrs.

There was a fisherman next to us that must have caught 6 fish and with each one he eagerly ran to his ruler, then grabbed his pliers, extracted the hook and threw the fish back. All too small. He sure had plenty of action.

We headed back to the car early because it was a long walk, stowed our gear and headed home. Again the traffic. There is just a 2 lane road through the island, all the signage done very well making the road look like a natural enviornment. Just cars all over.

We stopped on the causeway again, I just wasn't ready to leave the Caribbean Island look yet. We walked around a little and I took one last picture. So simple, so beautiful.

Arrived home at 6, ate dinner and both of us had a little nap. What a really nice day, a taste of the Caribbean.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.325s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 98; dbt: 0.2173s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb