Caladesi Island & Honeymoon Beach


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Dunedin
March 30th 2015
Published: April 12th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Two Florida State Parks in the Tampa Bay area, Honeymoon Beach and Caladisi Island, were within a few miles of our campsite in Dunedin. Both are well worth the time and minimal fees. The causeway to Honeymoon Beach has free beaches and free parking. The causeway is very popular with pickicners, jet skiers, fisherfolk, kayakers, waders and sunset tourists. There is an $8 per car fee to enter Honeymoon Island State Park with it's four miles of wonderful white sand beaches including a designated Pet Beach. Caladesi Island can be accessed by kayak or private boat. We bought tickets and took the 20 minute ferry ride across a dredged channel between Honeymoon and Caladesi. Caladesi is famed for great shelling on the north side of the island. We were totally content to wade in the St. Joseph Sound, read our books, people watch (one lady came showing off a live starfish that Wes suggested she return to the water) and enjoy the the sun.

Like all Florida state parks there is equal access to all facilities. Even on fairly remote Caledisi, the wide portal to the ferry, access to trails and a wide board walk ramping right down to the beach mean total accessibility. We say people with strollers, walkers, canes, and wheelchairs enjoying this beautiful resource.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

The All-Important Trash LineThe All-Important Trash Line
The All-Important Trash Line

I've found the best mini shells along the trash line; but was recently made aware of how important it is to the food chain. The beaches with giant John Deere groomers are beautiful; but that grooming takes food and nests away from sea life.
Sail Fish at Honeymoon Beach Sail Fish at Honeymoon Beach
Sail Fish at Honeymoon Beach

This was taken from the Caladisi Island Ferry. It looks back at where we parked for the sunset the previous evening;
Cranes on Honeymoon BeachCranes on Honeymoon Beach
Cranes on Honeymoon Beach

So these would be that other kind of "crane" beach improvement in progress!
Caladisi Island MarinaCaladisi Island Marina
Caladisi Island Marina

Cruisers moor in this little harbor. You can also rent kayaks at the Ranger Station.
Caladisi Island Caladisi Island
Caladisi Island

Here comes the ferry. They run every half hour.
Honeymood Beach Causeway RentalsHoneymood Beach Causeway Rentals
Honeymood Beach Causeway Rentals

Zita and Amy rented kayaks and paddled across Hurricane Pass to get to Caladisi Island. Word has it that the pass is so shallow that one can walk across. The Ferry couldn't take a direct route and had to circumnavigate in a dredged channel.
Caladisi Island RentalsCaladisi Island Rentals
Caladisi Island Rentals

You needn't schlep beach chairs and umbrellas although you will need them. Easy rental right at the end of the boardwalk at the beach entrance.
Caladisi Island Cacti Caladisi Island Cacti
Caladisi Island Cacti

When the dessert meets the beach!
Honeymoon Causeway at SunsetHoneymoon Causeway at Sunset
Honeymoon Causeway at Sunset

We parked along the Causeway Beach along with a hundred or so others to catch the sunset.


13th April 2015
Caladisi Island Rentals

Florida
So many beaches so little time.
13th April 2015
Caladisi Island Rentals

So many beaches!
Thanks for following us!

Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0331s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb