Crystal River


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Crystal River
February 23rd 2010
Published: February 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

The Crystal Isles Encore RV Resort at Crystal River has camp sites with water access and all the expected amenities. Nice spot! On Monday we were invited to dinner at Dave and Claudia's in the Citrus Hills section in nearby Hernando. We eat out a lot; so it is really nice to have a home cooked meal as guests in a real home. C&D took us on a tour of their community. They're living the good life "lovely and lux!" Brand new and huge club house and fitness center with an Olympic size indoor pool, every sort of exercise machine, spinning, yoga, Pilates, a golf course, restaurant, and more! On Tuesday, we had a great lunch at nearby Red's (serving breakfast and dinner and worth the wait to get a table) and headed out to rent kayaks. Nate, the owner of Rainbow River Canoe and Kayak in Dunnellon outfitted us with kayaks, paddles, PFDs, and instructions before shuttling us up to K.P. Hole Float near Rainbow Springs State Park. We paddled with the current for about 4.5 miles along this beautiful, crystal clear river which abounds with wildlife! We landed back at Dunnellon about 2 hours later, beaching with help from Nathan just past where the Withlacoochee and the Rainbow Rivers merge. It was a delightful day, lazy river, blue sky, bright sunshine, and good company! Well worth the $40 fee for the double kayaks. Dinner at Cracker's in Crystal River was delish. The service in this neck of the woods is a little off pace. We waited an inordinate amount time at Reds for our yummy lunches; and our "before dinner" cocktails at Cracker's arrived after the salads and even after the entrees were served. No biggie; just not what we're used to. To Ocala on Wednesday to get the RV ready for storage at New Episode Thoroughbred Training Center. We have our ritual; dinner at Horse & Hound, "dry camping" next to the hay barn at New Episode Training Center in Ocala overnight, checking out the morning workouts to see how two year olds are doing; and then heading for Tampa in the Jeep. One hitch - the Jeep's brake light came on so, leaving it in Ocala to be worked on. Ended up renting a car for Thursday's drive to Tampa we met the Frances for lunch and a look at the new Tampa Museum. We're flying out on Friday and will post the Thoroughbred Farm and Tampa pix after we arrive home. It has been wonderful; but we always love to be back home. It is snowing home; crossing fingers it's clear by Friday.




Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

So ClearSo Clear
So Clear

You can see bottom all the way down the Rainbow River; when you get to the conflence with the Withlacoochie; the water turns the color of tea from the tanin from nearby mangrove root systems.
AhingaAhinga
Ahinga

These birds dry their wings by spreading them out like a gian feathered cape.


Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0509s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb