"Houston, we have lift off!" - Cape Canaveral


Advertisement
Published: October 13th 2012
Edit Blog Post

On the trip from Key West to Orlando we headed inland to see some different scenery. We purchased some mangos directly from an orchard. They grew 40 different varieties of mango so we took the advice of the owner’s son and purchased some Southern Blush mangos. They were simply superb!

Our GPS showed our route as tracking alongside a large lake, Lake Okeechobee. Unfortunately we could not see it from the road as there was a substantial stop bank erected all round the lake. We were able to drive up onto the stop bank by the lake exit and enjoy the view where we watched a crane at the water's edge. We then travelled through an area of massive sugar cane farms. The canes and the tracks through them seemed to go on just about as far as the eye could see.

We arrived at our accommodation in Orlando just after dark - very pleased that the GPS led us through the web of roads in the city. Sun Style Suites was a very cheap booking option so I was worried about the room we would land up with. I was relieved to discover the room was clean, tidy, and comfortable with good air-conditioning and a small kitchen. There was a bit of a musty smell when we arrived but after 24 hours of using the air-conditioning, the smell disappeared. It is a good choice if you have a car.

The weather forecast was for thunder storms in Orlando but for fine weather in Cape Canaveral. After a leisurely start to the day, we headed over to the Kennedy Space Centre. It presents a fascinating look at the space program with many rockets and landing pods on display. An absolute must do for those that were captured by the Apollo space program in their youth.


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0278s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb