The Capitol in the Capital


Advertisement
Published: March 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Honest AbeHonest AbeHonest Abe

The Lincoln Memorial was captivating at night
We set off for Washington DC, bright and early on a frigid morning. Within a few hours, we had checked off several license plates, seen a few state signs, laughed at all the NJ drivers on the side of the road (it was very frigid so I'm guessing they ran out of wiper fluid and couldn't see a thing, or hadn't cleared the snow off their vehicles), and paid $15 in tolls. We of course, hadn't bothered to ask anyone what the best way to drive was, and managed to follow the most expensive route. So much for our $50/day budget!

We checked into our hostel and found the room to be very plain with old mattresses and a strong breeze coming through an old, drafty window. The guy almost seemed ashamed to show us the room, but the huge kitchen, tv room and backyard attempted to make up for it. Down the street was the train station, and there we ran into some issues with purchasing the tickets as it's not one price fits all in DC; there was also a knack to purchasing multiple-trip tickets. But two metro employees gladly helped us out and we were on our
Inside the DomeInside the DomeInside the Dome

The ceiling details were stunning inside the Capitol!
way.

Our first stop was for food. We completely missed sunset as a result. By the time we headed back out, it was dark and frigid. We decided to head towards the Lincoln Memorial. We passed by the White House and were both surprised at how small it was (maybe the cold was playing tricks on our mind) and how far set back it was from the road. As we approached the reflecting pool below the memorial, we started to see the signs that the 56th Presidential Inaugration was going to take place soon. There were barriers, fences, and porta-potties everywhere. And I mean everywhere. They must have shipped in every single portable toilet from every state in the US for this inauguration. Either side of the reflecting pool, and the entire Mall of America for that matter, was lined with the portable loo's in every colour.
Outside the memorial, a huge stage was being constructed...I was worried we wouldn't be able to see the memorial due to security and construction. But a kind volunteer pointed the way through the scaffolding.

The Lincoln Memorial is one of those places you see in textbooks as a kid, or maybe
The CapitolThe CapitolThe Capitol

Decorated for the upcoming inauguration!
on TV or in movies. It's like seeing the Mona Lisa or Uluru (Ayers Rock). It doesn't seem real at first, because it's always been just an icon. Suddenly you're there and you think, wow. What amazed me was the silence in the memorial. Just outside the columns, down the first flight of stairs, workers were feverishly putting everything in place for the following Tuesday ceremonies. But once you cross the threshold of the columns, there is quiet and the frenzy outside melts away.
One unhappy surprise while at the memorial was the realisation of how quickly camera batteries drain in extreme cold. We were then happily surprised to find the little museum underneath the memorial, and we found it both interesting and a good place to warm up.

As we wandered away from the memorial towards the Washington Monument, we decided that the air temperature must have been among the coldest either of us had ever felt. Despite the thermals and layers, we were shivering uncontrollably within a few minutes. We headed back downtown and splurged on coffee and cake at a bookstore cafe, just to warm up. Eventually we retreated to the hostel, stopping at the car
Trunks Up!Trunks Up!Trunks Up!

Inside the Natural History Museum, which I'd like to fully explore one day
to get extra blankets for our drafty room.

The next morning we set off to see the Natural History museum. We got off at Union Station, and were in awe of the beautiful train station. Our detour to get a photo of the Capitol turned into several hours, as we found out about the free Capitol tours. I highly recommend the tour! The inside of the building is just as impressive as the outside, and we learned lots of neat facts about the history of the building.

We ducked into the Natural History Museum for about half an hour, where I got chatting to an atmospheric science graduate student instead of actually seeing the museum. But from the few glimpses I saw, the museum looks fantastic! It's number one on my list for my next visit to DC.

We then met Emily for lunch at an Indian buffet, followed by the entire afternoon in the American History Museum. The Star Spangled Banner was definitely one of the highlights, with an interactive display. The flag itself was very impressive, and very well displayed. Other sections of the museum were fun too, such as the First Ladies' Dresses and
Setting UpSetting UpSetting Up

Workers preparing for the January 20th events
the Transportation section, where we saw the van that Emily's parents finally gave up last year! (Is it a sign of getting older when the van you drove for years ends up in a history museum?) We ended up back at Emily's place for dinner and drinks and couch-space (thank you!!) and had a great evening.

Washington DC seems like a great city to live in, with beautiful buildings, free museums, and all sorts of organized activities to partake in. And who said working for the government was a bad thing? It's a city I hope to revisit one day, perhaps in the summer when it's a bit warmer!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb