The Great Affair is to Move


Advertisement
Published: May 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

And so I am on the road again. This setting: roughly a two week trip to New England. So today, we started out for Washington, DC, and a little bit later than I had wanted to originally. But it all worked out, the drive wasn't bad at all (then again, for me, most drives are enjoyable) and we got into our hotel in Alexandria, Virginia, after a bad bout of traffic on the Capital Beltway just in time to catch the season finale of The Office (amazing, by the way).

Once The Office had finished and we had washed up a bit, Keith and I decided to search for some food along our way to the downtown of Washington DC. We got back on the highway, a familiar sight, and cruised northward. It was a Thursday night and we were on the outskirts of town, so a lack of food choices limited us to Wendy's. It wasn't too bad (actually we were hungry enough that it wasn't too bad), and we ended up getting some directions for actually driving into downtown DC from the shady, staring man from behind the counter. We ended up eating in the car, and then were on our way to park right next to the Botanical Gardens, next to the Capitol Building.

I've really only been in DC during daylight hours, so it was almost strange for me to see the place so quiet like it is once the sun goes down and only a few windows are lit with politicos burning the midnight oil. During the day and business hours (from what I recall), the area seems to be a bustling (and at times almost chaotic) center of democracy complete with memorials shrouded with sightseers seeing the sights and people paying their respects; suited men and women with briefcase in hand, negotiating with one another; and groups with name-tags around their members' necks associating them with one conference or another being held in some convention center. At night, oh at night, the capital switches from a living, breathing stamp of government to something that is still reminiscent of a government, but one that you walk quietly in so as not to disturb the peace, like you're in a church. During the day, the sun shines on them from above; during the night, they have their own lights to shine up on them and adore them, make them seem divine. And this is your relationship with DC at night: you are there to walk amongst the tributes to the nation's greatness. And that's not a pejorative, no. I love DC. There's just an unmistakable air that sets on the capital in the evening.

So we started out, from Capitol Hill and all the way on down to see Mr. Lincoln. We didn't actually get on the Capitol Grounds, they being blocked off for some reason and guarded to by imposing guardsmen, so we meandered around the Capitol Reflection Pool in the direction of the National Mall. It was nice and serene, a very enjoyable mile walk to the Washington Monument. I only wish I had a guide to tell me what all the building around the perimeter of the lawn were though. Though nicely lit at night, it's hard to tell what buildings are what. But we trucked on, and eventually got to the obelisk that is the Washington Monument. It was beautiful, standing there tall and graceful, surrounded by flags, kind of magnificent. We stayed around it for a bit, just gazing up at the top on the stone benches surrounding the monument, all of which are perfectly constructed for someone to lie back and look up. It was really nice, and kind of fun to watch what we could only assume were bats flying around way on top by the tip trying to catch a bug or two. But finally, it was time to continue on down to the rest of the sights.

We came upon the World War II Memorial, at the base of the Reflection Pool, and were able to go around the tribute and read quotations upon the stone pillars about war and peace, made by leaders of the past. I hadn't seen the memorial since it opened in 2004 (it was under construction when I was there last downtown in 2002) and it truly is a great addition to the Mall area. Especially at night when the mood of the dark really makes you feel as though you are paying tribute to the fallen and those who have fought. Controversy about the aesthetics and location of the memorial aside, it's a beautiful tribute, and does justice to the notion of paying homage to the veterans. We spent a good deal of time there just walking around,and with Memorial Day just around the corner many people had placed flowers and wreaths at various states' pillars. After we had finished looking at the memorial, we walked around and up to the Reflection Pool, which is actually adjacent to the WWII Memorial. As we were walking around the pool on the concrete perimeter, we noticed a significant amount of goose and duck poo on the ground and soon after a lot of geese, their goslings, ducks, and their ducklings. The droppings were pretty gross, but we ended up enjoying being able to play with the birds... and by play, I mean scare away into the water. The cutest were the little ducklings that would wobble into the pool and kind of plop down into it in their escape. After a bit of distance, they would try to get back out of the pool by sort of jumping up onto the concrete, some with more luck than others. By time we were got to the Lincoln Memorial, we'd probably scared away 50 birds, but it was all in good fun. Keith especially had a great deal of fun since he took more pleasure than I in waking sleeping mother ducks.

The Lincoln Memorial was as awesome as ever, and is one of my favorite places in Washington. Save a few individuals who may just be naturally loud, the sign that asks for silence upon entrance inside stands almost in vain because I couldn't imagine being loud inside such a reverent site. You walk in and immediately feel small compared to the marvelous statue of Lincoln, just sitting there and solemnly watching over the Mall. And because of that, you know you should be respectful. I can see how on the outside of the shrine and even on the steps leading upwards that rallies and marches and protests can be held (and really, what more appropriate spot to hold a demonstration), but inside... it's just peace. So people come inside the cella, take their pictures, read the Gettysburg Address and/or his second inaugural address, and just look up to Mr. Lincoln. It's really just a great place in America. Plus, you can't beat Abe's view.

By time we had walked all the way down to the Lincoln Memorial, it was late, we were tired, and we realized we had to walk all the way back too; therefore, we decided to forgo seeing more monuments and such that night. We really weren't in DC that long, and we knowing that, we couldn't be too disappointed. For Keith, this was more of an introductory visit to DC, and something to build upon when he can return. For me, this was the building on from previous visits and I did enjoy it very much. And I very much recommend DC at night. Just... maybe take a taxi on the walk back.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.179s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 31; qc: 107; dbt: 0.1255s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb