The search for the White House...


Advertisement
Published: August 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

After completing our last big Greyhound journey (an 18 hour beauty) we are here in DC. Today we got up early, went for a coffee and bought sandwiches and crisps for our big tourist day out! It's really nice to be in a city with a decent transport system, something we haven't really experienced since SF. We hit up the Mall, where all the museums and art gallery's are FREEE! So after messing about taking 'comedy' photos of us pretending to hold up the Washington monument (god love depth of field magic) we visited the Natural History Museum. Lucy gazed at the Hope diamond, I gazed at the tarantulas being fed, we both gazed at the forensics section - think deteriorating old bones and skulls with gunshot wounds. We wanted to hold the cockroaches that were being thrown around in the Insect Village but think they were only for the kids to hold. Lucy pleasantly commented that if I really wanted to hold one I had plenty of chances in the various hostels we have stayed in.
After lunch we went on a visit to the White House, as you do. Had a bit of a mix up which involved us taking photographs of a white building which we thought was the White House but was actually the Treasury. Eventually found the actual house in question and got a few pictures of us throwing the peace sign in front the Obama residence. Lastly we went and bought some classic postcards featuring a montage of photos of the Obama's dog, Bo... which are almost as ridiculous as the Segway tour which overtook us on our way home.


(I really want to go on one of those tours...)


Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0276s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb