Broadway Bound


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
August 18th 2011
Published: August 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Last stop New York (I've actually been back in the UK for over a week now but thought I better just finish this thing). Our hostel looked deceivingly nice in the lobby, but our room was basically a prison cell. We did have a sink and coat hooks to be fair. It wasn't too much of a big deal anyway because we're in NUUU YORK - we will be out singing and dancing and drinking and loitering!
It was pretty late when we got in so we decided to do what we have seen in the movies and go to grab a slice (this is something the UK need to get their head around pronto). Sal and Carmines is this amazing little pizza place and it's only a 2 minute walk from our hostel. There are signs up bragging about how it was voted the best slice of pizza in NY in, like, 2005 or something. Jessie Eisenberg likes it so it's good enough for me. So naturally that got visited ALOT, I think we went there three out of the four days we were in NY. I would have gone a fourth time but I think Lucy was all greased out.

The next morning we got up unfeasibly early to try and get rush (cheap) tickets for Broadway. We wanted to see 'How to Succeed in Business without really trying' starring DANRAD aka Harry Potter. He has a surprisingly nice singing voice, was surprisingly charismatic on stage and has surprisingly good dance moves that the Harry Potter franchise really doesn't put to good use. Our cheap tickets meant that we had to stand at the back but we stocked up on candy and drank a couple of beers pre-show so it wasn't too hellish.

Earlier in the day we trekked to the Met to see the Alexander McQueen exhibition that, by some miracle, had been extended long enough for us to be their for the closing weekend. It did mean queuing for about 3 hours and shuffling through the show while people stepped on the back of your heels and jammed their handbags into your ribs. But the actual displays were, of course, absolutely beautiful and breathtaking as expected.

Other than our day of culture, our time in NY was basically spent eating and shopping. We went to Rockefeller Centre and to the NBC shop. I quoted a lot of 30 rock that went over Lucy's head, and had to stop myself from buying those really-unfunny-yet-really-funny slogan t-shirts with 30 rock phrases on. Lucy reminded me that it wouldn't be so funny when I got back to Bristol and was walking around with a t-shirt that had "I'm Lizzing" emblazoned across the front. Got a magnet though.
The last thing we did before we left New York was to eat Schnitzel at this restaurant we had read about. I'm a big fan of flattened, breaded meat so even turning up once and having to go home because it was closed didn't discourage us from trekking all the way back the next day. It was worth it. Go there if your even in New York, or even just near New York. http://schnitzelandthings.com/.

And I can't believe it's all over! As I type this I am sitting in bed next to my sister while she plays The Sims, the biscuit box nestled in between us. It's raining outside. Somethings never change!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0295s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb