More from CO


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado
January 25th 2005
Published: January 25th 2005
Edit Blog Post

City of DurangoCity of DurangoCity of Durango

nice, huh!
OK, I'm back again, in Steamboat now, visiting one of the English girls (Kelly's sister is living in Steamboat for the winter).

Dave and I left Durango after we decided that it would be useless to wait for passes to open to Silverton, and instead went to Telluride. I had a contact (friend of a friend) in the area, so we made our way to his place, "The House of Leasure". These people lived on the top story of a three condo complex up on a hill overlooking the town, and opposite the ski area. If anyone has been to Telluride you understand how incredible the area is, the town is tucked into a box canyon with mountains all around, some over 13,000 ft. The house was an interesting place. I'm not entirely sure how many people lived there, but there was constant traffic into and out of the place. There were guitar jams going all the time, and one guy was actually a trained jazz trumpet player, but I never got to hear him play, and one guy was trying his luck as a painter, so the living room was a maze of instruments, painting supplies, cacti and other plants, and of course people.

We skied the following day ($74!!! the most expensive ski day of the trip for sure). While there hadn't been any new snow for a few days, the mountain still was amazing. We even found a brother sister team to show us around the mountain for a few runs, easily the best skiers from Florida I've ever met. Oh, and T-ride is one of the most schenic places I've ever skied, but I do have to warn everyone about the crowd there. Seemed like a lot of transplanted rich city folk with too much money on their hands.

The next day (sorry, no dates, can't remember them) was a cross country, we couldn't handle another $74 lift pass. We drove south from Telluride to the top of Lizard Head pass and skied for the afternoon. There were FREE maintained trails open to the public. And of course the weather was warm and sunny, a great day for some XC.

Almost out of time again, so good bye for now.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Bob, king of cat skiingBob, king of cat skiing
Bob, king of cat skiing

Here's Bob in his element


Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 18; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0433s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb