Fern Lake (Rocky Mountain National Park)


Advertisement
Published: March 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Distance: 7.7 miles
Rating: moderate

It’s generally safe to say that if you head up to the high country prior to July, you’re still going to see a fair amount of snow. I was aware of this, but I decided that I’d had enough of hiking around the foothills. So, my dad and I headed up for our first hike of the year in Rocky Mountain National Park. Unlike previous years, I actually had a National Parks pass, so we were able to venture into the park rather than search for hikes around the perimeter. At this point, the temperature down in Denver had already reached summer highs, so I figured that we would be fine along our chosen trail. In fact, most of the trail was dry along the lower elevations. However, as we climbed, we encountered more and more snow. Fortunately, the Fern Lake trail is popular enough that people use it for most of the year. Despite a good deal of snow, the trail was easy to follow (albeit a bit slippery). By the time we reached the lake (elevation 9530 ft.), it looked as if spring had barely touched the area. Unlike the lower elevations, leaves were not yet growing on the trees and snow covered most of the shore. There’s something exciting about experiencing three seasons in one day.

The Fern Lake trail is a moderate to moderately difficult 7.7 mile round trip hike. Along the way, visitor’s have a chance to see some impressive things. The Pool is a swirling section of river at the confluence of the Big Thompson River and several smaller streams. The trail passes within a few feet of the powerful Fern Falls, which rewards hikers with a nice cool spray. Fern Lake itself is also very beautiful, and the view of the Continental Divide mountains that surround it makes the hike worthwhile.

The trailhead for Fern Lake is located in the Moraine Park area, south and west of the Beaver Meadows Entrance Station. The trail starts off relatively level as it makes its way through the glacier-carved valley. Moraines are formed as glaciers move and deposit debris along their sides. Evidence of the glacial activity in this area is found in the long ridge that runs along the southern end of Moraine Park. The initial stretch of the trail closely follows the powerful Big Thompson River. The trail eventually goes through the towing Arch Rocks before reaching the bridge across the Pool. From here the trail begins to climb on its way up to Fern Falls (about three miles from the trailhead). Many of the sight-seers tend to stop at the falls, so more serious hikers will encounter less congestion on the route up to the lake. At Fern Lake, look west for great views of the surrounding craggy peaks of the Continental Divide.

Fern Lake does not represent the end of this trail. In fact, the route to the lake is part of a much longer loop that continues on to the higher Odessa Lake and Lake Helene. From those lakes, the trail continues south and east towards Bear Lake or it can be followed north and east to Cub Lake and eventually back to the Pool along the Fern Lake trail. For a more secluded destination, consider taking the less developed route to Spruce Lake (the turn off is located just before reaching Fern Lake).

Because Fern Falls are relatively easy to reach, this tends to be a very popular trail. As a result, parking can be relatively difficult on weekends. There is a parking area at the trailhead, but it fills up very quickly. If the trailhead lot is full, there are several other parking lots along Moraine Park Road. The next closest is about a half-mile from the trailhead. As with any hike in the mountains, be mindful of the weather. Storms can and will move in very quickly here.

Directions: From the Beaver Meadows Entrance Station, continue west and take an immediate left onto Bear Lake Rd. Take a right onto Moraine Park Rd and follow the signs towards the Cub Lake trailhead, continue past the Cub Lake parking area to find one of the lots closer to the Fern Lake trailhead.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0258s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb