Farewell to Denver


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado » Rocky Mountains
September 4th 2005
Published: September 9th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Wound up our visit to Denver with a stop at the Art Museum - if you’re ever in Denver, don’t miss this one. The Native American and Asian exhibit floors were breathtaking! The new wing, which is architecturally stunning, will open next year - sorry we had to miss that. We walked around the LoDo district and enjoyed a gelato in the heat of the afternoon. The weather in summer is great - lots of sunshine, low humidity, and cool evenings. Denver surprised us - it is a wonderful city with lots of cultural amenities. I would definitely come back here for a return visit to see all the things we missed the first time.

We visited the Colorado Railroad Museum in Golden. Unless you are a serious railroad buff, I would skip this one. The inside exhibits were interesting, but the train cars on display outdoors were not well laid out nor marked. There were some interesting old cars you could walk into; but many of them were not open. Looked like a junkyard to me. If you go, wear sturdy shoes as the outdoor area is a hilly site with dirt/gravel, no smooth paths.

You may wonder
On the Road AgainOn the Road AgainOn the Road Again

Beginning our drive into the Rocky Mountains
how we’re faring on our journey so far. Mundane things, like mail service, grocery shopping, etc. Well, we do have a physical address in TX and have our mail forwarded about once a week to where we are. You know those little key tags from grocery stores where you get the “rewards member” pricing? Well, we have about six of those so far. We sign up for one when we encounter a new grocery store chain and just add them to our car key ring. So far, we’ve used the (Kroger) Plus card in several different locations and of course, our Tom Thumb card from Dallas works in Safeway stores too. Also got a 5 cent/gallon discount on gas with the Plus card. Nowadays every penny helps! We’ve been seeking out local farmers markets wherever we are, and we’ve found some great ones.

The drive to Breckenridge was gorgeous, taking us up almost another 5,000 feet or so in elevation into the Rocky Mountains. We will stay here about 2 weeks. There is an arts festival this weekend, a film festival next weekend, and upcoming Octoberfest . It's absolutely gorgeous here.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Interstate 70Interstate 70
Interstate 70

Gorgeous - however, Alan had to be really careful going up and down the mountains driving the bus.
Restaurant in BreckenridgeRestaurant in Breckenridge
Restaurant in Breckenridge

The potted flowers here are just stunning.
Shopping in BreckenridgeShopping in Breckenridge
Shopping in Breckenridge

Flowers, flowers everywhere!


Tot: 0.174s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 72; dbt: 0.086s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb