Denver, Colorado


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado » Denver
August 11th 2007
Published: June 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

If this is Saturday we must be in Denver-the mile high city. It was nice to reach civilization, Sally, our GPS, brought us the most direct route right through a lovely industrial section that we thought looked just like Lynn! The downtown was much nicer. A pedestrian mall runs the entire length of downtown with free bus service. Wonderful shops and mostly chain restaurants are located here. There's a very lively night life with bands and lots of people walking around. Our hotel, the Curtis is a hoot. It just opened his year and has a 70's theme. Our floor was the "Perfect Pairs." Pictures of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Laverne and Shirley etc. Sylvan was just happy we weren't on the "Chick Flick" floor. We spent part of the day exploring the city and the Denver Art Museum which just opened a new wing that you'll just have to see the pictures of because I cannot describe the design. Ironically they had a large exhibit of pictures of Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig owned by a local collector. You can only take in so much art but they did have an interesting collection. We headed back to the hotel and after a beer and snack at the bar/restaurant "The Corner Office" (also 70's themed) then took a taxi to Coors Field because even in Denver you can call the day of a game and get tickets. We wanted to get there early to pick up the tickets ($27 each). Our seats weren't as good, way out on the first base line in the upper level but it didn't matter it was so HOT you couldn't even sit in the seats so we climbed all the way to the top row where there was shade and a breeze. If it's hot always ask for seats on the shady side! Luckily we were able to sit there the whole game and for the short time we were in the sun at least we had a good breeze. Everyone cheered when the sun finally set behind a large cloud. It actually cooled off for the first time since we left Beverly. The game was a 15 to 2 win for the Colorado Rockies against the Cubs. This ball park has landscaped bull pens set next to a lovely water fountain and you can sit in what we would call the bleacher seats for $4.00!!! Over 55 or under 12 $1.00!!!! Needless to say we left early and had a great dinner at the Denver Chop House. The only downside to Denver was the large homeless population other than that it's a beautiful spot with the Rockies as your backdrop.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.024s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb