West American Adventure


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California
July 14th 2013
Published: October 1st 2013
Edit Blog Post

San DiegoSan DiegoSan Diego

Picture 1
DAY 1:
I left Mum, Dad, Beth and Grace on Tuesday the 16thof July from Disney to catch an internal flight from Orlando to Los Angeles. I was extremely excited about the break, but very nervous. I was about to join a large contiki tour of 56 people from all over the world. Getting from the hotel to the airport was easy and ran very smoothly, getting to security was easy and I noticed the old couple in front of me had the same boarding card as me, so I was hasty to stalk them all the way to the gate. The plane journey was also fine, although very turbulent, was arrived in Los Angeles within 5 hours. I got off the flight waited for my bags and went quickly around to the hotel shuttle, and was on my way into LA! It was quite a scary experience as I drove into New York for the first time, many landmarks I recognised so the familiarity put me at ease. However, it was very different in LA, I didn’t recognise anything and it was quite late at night. I arrived at the hostel no bother though and as soon as I walked in I heard two girls sat in the lobby talking about their Contiki trips! It was perfect, I had met two girls already doing the tour. One, Rachel, was Australian and the other Lindsay was Welsh. We arrived to meet the next morning and get a taxi to the meeting point. I went straight to bed as was shattered from the flight and had to be up and ready for 7 the next day.

DAY 2:
I met Rachel and Lindsay in the lobby the next morning, checked out and made our way to a taxi to the meeting point. There were all kinds of people there, a real mix! Everyone was really chatty and keen to know everything about everyone lots of moving round and lots of small talk. It was very exciting, but kind of felt like I was a fresher again!We all boarded the coach and I sat next to a girl, Kirsty from Essex who was also doing a history degree. The tour leader Korie, did a speech at the start of the tour explaining how everything worked and how we were going to do things and which optional activities were the best etc. She is really sweet and very helpful. Our first stop was San Diego, which was about a three hour drive, but with all the chatting and getting to know people it went very quickly! Our first stop was over the … bridge and then on to … island, it was absolutely beautiful. The big city buildings, the palm trees everywhere, it was a quickly little beach town, similar to Vero Beach. It was gorgeous weather too! (Picture 1) There was an optional activity of going speed boating, but I wanted to explore Downtown San Diego, so Lindsay, Kirsty and I set off wondering around. There is an area called the GasLamp Quarter (Picture 2) where all the main bars and pubs and clubs were. So we headed down there in need of some refreshments. We first stumbled upon, a bar called ‘Dicks’ where the waiters specialised in being rude to you, it was quite an experience particularly after being in Disney for three weeks. The girls bought cocktails and I had the largest corona I had ever seen. It was scorching hot and we met up with a few other girls on the tour and sat and enjoyed the sun and waited for the rest of the tour to board the coach. Around 4pm we went to our hotel, the rooms were assigned randomly and I was put with Australian Rachel which was ideal as I knew her and we got along well! The rooms were nice and smart with a double bed each and an en suite, ideal really. Everyone had an hour to themselves to recover and get ready for dinner. We were going to Old Town San Diego, (Picture 3) where there a very Mexico feel and we were going for Mexican food. It was a beautiful old town very cute with little wagons setting Native American goods. Me and Leah also had a picture outside Americas most haunted house, but we were too scared to go inside. (Picture 4). We ate in the Mexican restaurant where I tried my first Magharita, it was huge! (Picture 5) The food was nice and the company was very good. I felt sorry for a lot of the English girls who had flown into America that day and were really struggling with the time difference. But we ate our meal and went on to the gaslamp quarter for few drinks. There was a fantastic atmosphere down there with lots of very lively pubs and clubs and bars, it was amazing! The first place we went to was called Shout Piano Bar, where two people play two pianos on the stage and have a sing off between them, it was quite a spectacle. (Picture 6) People in the audience would request tracks for a few dollars and they would play them there and then on the spot or throw the request to the other pianist if they didn’t fancy the request. It was amazing to watch. I met three other girls that evening and we got on really well, Francesca and Leah from Australia and Erin from New Zealand they were all lovely and we kept going up and down to the bar trying new shooters, we even had one that tasted identical to a cinnamon bun! Very strange. (Picture 7) We went back to the hotel around 1:30am, when all the clubs closed – I had a really great night and everyone was starting to mesh really well.

DAY 3:
On day three we had choices, Sea World, San Diego Zoo or lie in. I didn’t want to laze around
Piano BarPiano BarPiano Bar

Picture 6
in bed, but I had done enough theme parks this holidays so I decided to go to the zoo considering it was world famous as well. It was brilliant! I had a really lovely afternoon just mooching around the zoo with a lovely English girl called Laura we grabbed some lunch and took the zoo at a leisurely pase, it was too hot to do anything else! The best thing we saw in the zoo was the two headed snake (Picture 8).The coach then picked us up at 2:30 to take us to Mission Beach, I was so excited to get on the beach and keep up my Florida day, being the end of the big heat, it was so nice and relaxing. I chilled with Lydnsay, Kirsty and Laura and we were just chatting away until the coach was ready to meet us again at 5:30pm. I even went into the sea! (Picture 9) The coach took us back to the hotel where we had a bit of time to chill out and get ready. We were going to a ‘dive’ bar for dinner that night next to the hotel. It was a really cool atmosphere in there and was full of locals, so a flavour of ‘real America’. Me, Leah and Francesca ordered a pizza to share which was far too spicy for all of us! So we stuck to the liquid dinner instead. There was karoke and lots of drinking games, including a 50 person Never have I ever, which was a good way to get to know people. A lot of people went home, but a group of around ten of us decided to go back to the gas lamp quarter as the night was still young when the bar shut. We went to two bars and they were both amazing, however they were the strongest tequilas I have ever tasted! WHOOPS. Me, Rachel and Mike got a taxi home at about 2am. (Picture 10)



DAY 4:
The next day was an early start 7:45am packed and ready at the coach with bags packed which was a bit of a shock. We were travelling all the way to Arizona, which was only a neighbouring state but was a seven hour drive and an ideal place to sleep off a hangover. We stopped at a few places for toilet brakes, but a lot of it was desert. It was like being in Florida again, the heat and the humidity really hit you when you got off the coach and tempuratures soared to 40 degrees. There were lots of cactus’ and tumbleweed on the way, it was just like the movies. I sat next to Phill on the journey, an Australian and we were comparing foreign currency and foreign passports! Half way round we had a coach stop at immigration when we crossed the state border, California to Nevada, everyone who wasn’t from the country had to get off the coach and show their passports to guys with guns and sniffer dogs. We arrived at the hotel eventually in Scottsville and we were greeted by a swimming pool and three cool boxes full of beer, it was very nice surprise, so everyone dumped there stuff and ran to their rooms. It was so lovely to cool off and hang out. That night we had some ‘surprise transport’ which turned out to be buggies to take us to the nightlife, and we ate at a German brat haus which was fun, lots of beer and sausages and then went on to Gilligans bar where shots are served my midgets or for political correctness ‘little people.’ It was a really cool place. We then went on to other places and as me, Francesca and Leah hooked up with three other English girls on the tour, Maddie, Lauren and Danielle we managed to get everywhere for free, we had a really good night and got another golf buggie home but an early night at around 12am.

DAY 5:
I had a later start this morning, only 8am by the coach ready to leave, although the rest of the group opted for a sunrise hot air balloon over the desert in Arizona. Although, this would have been amazing, I wasn’t keen on the idea of waking up at 4:30am to do it and the $350 price tag was rather a lot! We met the rest of the group in the car park and got on a long five hour journey to Sedona. I sat next to Josh on the coach, a really nice guy from Melbourne, and we talked about all kinds of things, particularly his trip around Europe last summer, particularly as he had done more of England/Europe than I have and it is all on my
TequillaTequillaTequilla

Picture 10
doorstep. We eventually arrived in Sedona just after lunch time, it was a really random town, based on the town Walt Disney created around the ride Thunder Mountain in the Magic Kingdom, so I felt right at home. It was beautiful with native red rock everywhere, (Picture 11 and 12), and was extremely hot. We had lunch there and were just allowed to mouch around and chill. It was a very touristy place with loads of native America tacky tack on sale, but it was brilliant to look after and marvel at the views. Being a very native American town, there is lots of folklore and has a mystic side to the place, so there were lots of fortune tellers and magic rocks and stones. Lydnsey had her fortune read and was really happy with the results, it is a difficult time for her and she that’s why she wanted to come away, feeling uncomfortable in her job etc. so she enjoyed listening to the ‘mystic meg’. Everything was the rich burnt red colour to fix with the natural environment, and it is the only McDonalds in the world which doesn't have a bright yellow M! We later boarded the
SedonaSedonaSedona

Picture 11
coach again and were on our way to the Grand Canyon, I was so excited about going, but everywhere around us was just beautiful the landscape of the part of America was just stunning – I loved it. Lots of mountains and changes in altitude, lots of wiggy roads and big drops and lakes with children playing it, lots of trees and felt very green. It was beautiful to drive through. We eventually arrived at the Grand Canyon and the coach dropped us at a few convience stores to stock up for the next few days as we wouldn’t be getting any food for the next few days, Contiki gave us $30 each. Me, Leya and Franchesca met up and stock up on Pringles, Sprite and Vodka! Grand Canyon essentials. We later drove into the Grand Canyon and were looking for spectacular fews, but saw very little except log cabins and trees and some wildlife, deers etc. but we were waiting for the big spectacle. We eventually arrived at the first looking point, (Picture 13) and were oh so impressed – it was incredible. Just as we stepped out, we saw a man proposing to his girlfriend it was very magical. But you couldn’t do the place justice but words or pictures, it was beautiful just perfect and peaceful and still, I adored it. As the mind has never seen anything like that before, it presumes it is a picture, so takes a few pictures to take it in, but it is beautiful! (Picture 14, 15 and 16) We drove through the Grand Canyon National Park and were lucky enough to be staying in the actual park so were staying in log cabins, shared by 6 in the middle which was amazing. People had a chilled afternoon, generally, I was sharing a room with Rachel again and Ricky and Lottie were next door and we shared a bathroom and two Spanish girls were on the other side with there own bathroom, they were so cute! We the bench outside our room which was the main hang out spot, so we were right in the middle of it all. Later in the evening, Rachel, Mistee, Meg, Claire and a few of the other girls went down to see the Canyon at sunset, it was lovely and an absolutely stunning view, however there wasn’t much view as a thunder storm was brewing so we quickly made our way make to the cabins. (Picture 17) I went and chilled with the English girls, Laura, Kirsty and Lyndsey, and had a few drinks and a chat with them which was nice. They wanted to go to bed early so me and Leya went and hung out with the Aussie, we were playing a few drinking games outside. However, they were like, we have come to a different country, we want to learn a new game! So I suggested an English game of 21, an easy drinking game and although it went off to a slow start, it was an instant hit and everyone loved it thank god! It was an instant success and we made it to 21, with every number a different word – we weren’t allowed to go to bed until we had. Great idea! I think there were around ten of us played, myself, Leya, Mike, Michael, Lauren, Jannes, Phill, Josh, Lachlan, Laura and Scott (all Australia or Kiwi). We eventually went to bed at around 2am.

DAY 6:
The next day was another early start, typical Contiki, as we were heading out on a helicopter ride over the Grand Canyon, so it was worth the early alarm. We hopped on the coach to the Grand Canyon airport with the majority of the tour who were doing the trip and then once we arrived we were all individually weighed, it was like airport check-in, but instead of weighing your bags, they weighed you! We were taken through a short video and safety test and then waited patiently for your helicopter. We were all called through and given a safety belt and a lifejacket to put on and me, Leya, Franchesca and Nicola were all put on the same helicopter. (Picture 18) Once you were out by the helicopter the blades spade round so fast you could hear next to nothing! It was crazy, but very cool, we all had to sign to each other. We all had seatbelts to wear and me, Leya and Nicola were in the back and Franchesca in the front. The helicopter take off was so much nicer than an aeroplane one, you gradually just float off into the air. It was scary though as the doors of the helicopter were all see through so you could see directly under your feet! There was a short
Grand CanyonGrand CanyonGrand Canyon

Picture 15
introduction to the pilot and then an explanation of other technical bits and bats and then some majestic music came on and we were flying out the Grand Canyon at sunrise. It was one of the most incredible things I have ever seen! It was just beautiful. You could see the Colorado river and all the different layers of the Canyon, all the beautiful colours. It was amazing! (Picture 19 and 20) Some parts seemed extremely lush and green, with lots of trees whilst others seemed very dry and arid but the colours were marvellous. We were up there for about 45 minutes and then the landing was very smooth aswell, just like take off. Once we had all had the experience of a lifetime, we piled back on to the coach and chilled back at the log cabins. Leya, Fran and I watched a movie, whilst eating crisps and chocolate, we called it embracing ‘America Culture.’ At about 1pm we went and had some lunch and then we joined the rest of the group again to hire bikes as we were going on a bike ride around the rim of the Canyon. I was so excited, but at the same toss of a coin very nervous as it was so scorching hot and the were riding on footpaths with the drop of the Canyon right next to you, with no bars or railings! We eventually arrived at the hire shop and were greeted by two guides and the group spilt in half. Me, Leya, Fran, Phill, Lachlan, Josh, Ben, Nick, Jen and Anabelle (all Austrailian/Kiwi except Ben from Korea) went together and were given bikes and set off. (Picture 21) There was no need to be nervous as the views were all incredible and everyone was stopping and starting to take pictures of the beautiful views and a couple of selfies of course, (Picture 22). We were lucky enough to see a black Canyon Eagle, native only to California, it is a protected bird with very few in the wild. When you see them circling the Canyon it generally means they an smell a body on the Canyon floor, so seeing the bird was lucky for us, but very unfortunate for someone else! We had a few hours chill time and at around 6pm, I went to get a pizza with some of the girls and we started drinking. This was going to be a big night drinking and I went across to Lydnsey, Kirsty and Lauras room to have a quick catch up and see how they were before heading to the room parties. Claire and Melissa were hosting a cabin party and everyone was there. It was a really fun night and everyone was involved. (Picture 23) We stayed up late boozing and chatting and drinking out of red cups! Myself, Mike and Jannes stayed up and chatted for ages and had a few deep and meaningfulls and eventually went to bed at around 3am.

DAY 7:
Needless to say we were all extremely tired and grumpy on the coach the next morning, but we were on the way to VEGAS! And everyone was so pumped. It was a long drive and most people turned on their iPods and fell straight to sleep, I was sat next to Mike on this journey and we just watched movies on his iPad, until we arrived on Route 66. We were only going on the road briefly, but we had to get out and make the most of it hey! It was a cool little town we stopped it and it was the area that the Disney Movie Cars was based on (Picture 24) we all queued to have a picture with the Route 66 sign and then got back on the bus ready for another painful journey on the way to Vegas! We had about four hours to drive so Korrie, our tour leader, put on the Hangover to give us a flavour of what Vegas would be like when we arrived! When we eventually did arrive we were given a quick trip and around and it was just larger than life. Paris hotel, Ceasars Palace and New York New York Hotel all looked incredible and the lights and sights were capturing us already! We were dropped off at our hotel for our two day stay in Harrahs hotel, it wasn't anything extravagant, but we did have a casino at the bottom of the hotel! Everyone was so excited so headed straight up to the hotel and started to get glammed up. I was so excited to PARTY! We had to meet at 7pm in the hotel lobby and everyone looked lovely, we drove to the famous Las Vegas sign and had a big photo shoot, of individual shots, group shots and one massive shot of the whole Contiki group. It was lovely. It was also the last night of everyone together, as some people were getting off in Las Vegas, which was quite sad as everyone has meshed so well. (Picture 25 and 26) We were then driven on to have dinner at a little Italian restaurant, it was lovely, but everyone was more interested in eating the Contiki Punch the restaurant had prepared for us. Korrie than loaded up back on the coach, I had some pepsi and vodka mixed up together for the journey and we were driven down the strip to see the sights of Las Vegas. It was incredible, all the lights, the roller-coasters and everything. I was spell-bound! (Picture 27) We drove all the way down the strip, past lots of wedding chapels and even past the place they film Pawn-Stars. And Greg our driver kept getting quite heavy with the brakes, and Korrie started to sound worried. Everyone on the coach was getting angry so they wanted to start partying! But Korrie insisted she had to stop the bus and we had to get off whilst Greg worked out the problem, we were all very annoyed and were shown to this wedding chapel just up the road. It was hot and stuffie in there and not enough seats for everyone, we were all very annoyed and wanted to start drinking. Then all of a sudden, the lights were dimmed and some music started. A fake Elvis came out and started singing to us, we knew then that this was a set up! Korrie had tricked us! Elvis sung a few more songs and then he made an announcement, he was going to marry two people on the tour, everyone thought it was going to be one of the couples, but it ended up being two of the nicest and most outgoing people on the tour, Franchesca and Josh. (Picture 28) They were married and he promised to be her 'hound dawg' and she promised not to break his 'achey breaky heart'. It was very funny and they had certificates and everything. We then went on to an open stadium called Lucky Nugget which had a nightly light show, it was amazing and the drinking began. I had a pint glass full of wine for $5 and so did the girls. It was going to be a great night. (Picture 29) The light show was a celebration of Britain and Queen so I as in my element and everyone was loving all the songs and clapping along. But the best bit was the thunder and lightening show at the end, which was amazing (Picture 30). We then went on to the main club, XS at Encore Hotel. It was incredible and absolutely stunning hotel, on our walk there, the shops around the hotel lobby were all designer shops like Gucci etc. We arrived at the club and were all given two free drinks vouchers! Everyone queued up, was IDed and let the celebrations begin. The music was amazing and we were all in our element, particularly Leya dancing on the pole all night. (Picture 31 and 32) It was very expensive, three shots of Tequilla for $36 but it was Vegas - anything goes!

DAY 8:
The next morning we were all rather fragile, but had tickets to Ceasars Palace Pool Party so all forced ourselves up and out! It was one of the most incredible hotels I had ever seen and it wasn't long until Leya and I were back on the 'grog'. (Picture 33 and 34) We stayed in the pool for a few hours and caught up with the goss of everyones night, then caught a McDonalds and went back to the hotel for a nap to prepare for the next night! It was so so hot as well, we needed to get out of the heat and wake up a little. We met the group at around 7pm and were ready for a limo ride. Three limos rocked up to pick up and we were greeted with bottles of champagne and vodka! (Picture 35) Me, Leya and Fran sat together and were so happy when Blurred Lines came on the sound system, it was definitely the song of the trip! We went all over Vegas and were dropped off a Palms Hotel and partied in Club39 and partied on the 39th floor, with incredible views of Vegas. (Picture 36 and 37) Once again the club was very expensive, but the drinks were amazing and so was the music. We were all loving it and partying hard, so hard we had to buy flip flops from the toilet. We retired to McDonalds, there was one on the ground floor of the hotel (it is Vegas after all) and around 5:30 we got a taxi home. Fran conducted a wedding ceremony for Leya and I on the way home and the taxi driver even got involved flashing the lights when she pronounced us wife and wife! We then went to gamble a bit as we were leaving Vegas the next day and the phrase of the trip was #noregrets. We sat down at Black Jack and played and played and played, I won $30, Fran lost $80 and Leya won $120. We eventually retired back to the hotel as it was 6:30 and we had to be at the coach at 8am, so it was all about a little nap before heading to the coach. Luckily I had already packed my case whilst getting ready earlier in the evening so it was just a case of getting out and going. We were all shattered, hungover, but had an amazing time in Las Vegas (Picture 38).

DAY 9:
Day 9 was a horrible, hungover day which involved a nine hour coach journey. None of us were happy or chatty! I sat next to Laura and just snuggled in my
Route 66Route 66Route 66

Picture 24
blanket. We made one stop at a super market and were again given $10 each to spend on food for the next two nights staying in Bass Lake. Although we couldn't bare to think of alcohol right now, we still bought more vodka, pringles, sprite and cheetos. We also bought some Skittles, to make Skittles vodka and then made our way to Bass Lake where we were staying for the next two days. When we eventually arrived, a lot of people went down to the pool and chilled, but Leya, Fran and I just wanted to remove all make up and sit in front of the TV and stuff our faces, another episode of 'embracing American culture'. It was great and we were all such grumps it was loads of fun! The rooms we had were like cabins and were amazing, there was a main room and a kitchen with a fridge and hob and everything and then a living room with a sofa and a TV and then downstairs was three double beds, one for each of us and a en suite. The accommodation was so cool, we were lucky to stay there. We went down an bought a bottle of champagne as tonight was going to be a chilled night, with little/minimal drinking after Vegas. We went down for dinner on the terrace with everyone and the Bass Lake staff had put on pizza and salad for us, but none of us could stomach little. Despite our poor stomachs, the view was absolutely beautiful over the Lake. (Picture 39) A small table started of those drinking, there was about ten of us and it was a very casual night. There were some new people who met us in Vegas and we were getting to know them which was cool. But it was a chilled night and we ended up staying out until about 12 and then going to bed for an early one!

DAY 10:
The next day was another early start and off to Yosemite Park for the morning and another bike ride! Yosemite was about an hour drive from Bass Lake and we were all very impressed by the view and the sights when we arrived, it was beautiful! (Picture 40) The boys wanted to do a hike around the park, but we didn't fancy it, being girly girls, so opted for a another bike
Group PhotoGroup PhotoGroup Photo

Picture 26
ride so hired bikes. It was such a beautiful place to be, seeing all the mountains and rock faces. It was stunning! There was even dear and animals running all over the park, some dear got so close they are such beautiful and peaceful animals. We hired our bikes and went round and round the park, (Picture 41) it was so nice and calm, with lots of families playing in the water and under bridges and everything, it was lovely to see - I would love to go there with my family! (Picture 42) We eventually stopped at a bridge and started to use and abuse the self timer on the iPhone. We all balanced on this one tree fallen across a river and Fran set her self timer and ran on, although it was cheesey and lots of people were staring at us, it was still a good picture and lots of fun! (Picture 43) We eventually gave our bikes back and headed to the canteen and met Mistee and Meg for a bite to eat before heading back to the coach. Once again we had a chilled out afternoon, but this time it was by the pool rather than infront of the television. It was so pretty chilling by the pool with the stunning lake right next door. That afternoon at around 5pm, we made skittles vodka for the night out and were all keen to get ready and get drinking again! (Picture 44) At around 8pm when everyone was ready we went round to see Lottie, Ricky and Nicola and play ring of fire for pre drinks before heading to the bar on the Bass Lake campus. We were all nice and boozy and we arrived at the club and Fran released she had forgot her passport, just as we were turning around to walk back to the house, a park warden in a buggy turned up to pick us up! Leya got in the front and Fran and I in the back, with this warden called Hunter and he drove us around the park to our cabin. It was the most scary journey of my life, he was reversing down these huge hills and we were holding on for dear life, but maybe it was the skittles vodka talking! Fran eventually got her passport and Hunter showed us the way back to the campus bar and
Contiki WeddingContiki WeddingContiki Wedding

Picture 28
we had a quick photo shoot and were back to join the party in the bar! (Picture 45 and 46). It was an amazing night and everyone was on top form. Leya and I went outside for a breather and ended up meeting an American couple called Rose and John, two Californians and they were great fun, kept laughing at our accents! (Picture 47) It was a great night with lots of tequilla, selfless and skinny dipping in the lake to finish off the night! (Picture 48)

DAY 11:
The next day was a 7am start with a four hour drive to San Francisco, the last stop before the end of Contiki! Our first stop was crossing over the Golden Gate Bridge which was such a spectacle. It was incredible and the bright orangey/red was so clean and perfect despite the horrible fog. (Picture 49) We then had a quick bus tour of the city and were taken down to Pier 39 for the first stop of the tour. It was noticeably windy and much colder in San Fran and I certainly had not packed appropriately for it - I was freezing! Pier 39, was cute but very trouisty
Lucky NuggetLucky NuggetLucky Nugget

Picture 29
and tacky so Fran and Leya and I went for a meal instead of checking on the scenery. We ate in a japanese restaurant that overlooked the beautiful San Fran bay. We met the coach again at around 2pm and we taken to see the Victorian Lady houses which were very pretty, perfect and cute (Picture 50). We then went back to our room and Rachel and I had a quick nap and get ready for that evening activites. We were about to go on a boat ride around the San Francisco bay. I was again not dressed appropriately and we absolutely freezing in a jumper and shorts. It was very very cold, with the sea breeze aswell. But the view was lovely as we drove past Alcatraz and under the Golden Gate Bridge. (Picture 51). Afterwards, everyone went for dinner, but instead I decided to go back to the hotel with Leya and get changed as I was freezing and we were planning on heading out. So Leya and I went back and got dressed up in warmer clothes and met everyone back on Pier 39 after they had eaten. We went two a few bars after the meal and no one was wild about drinking so we just had a chilled night and went home at around 2am. I didn't have a good feel for San Fran, as there were lots and lots of hills which was great when you were driving and an amazing spectacle, but not amazing when you were walking. There was also lots of poverty and homelessness, which was not nice to see and quite heartbreaking. The majority of them were black people with loads of begging and crime was rife, with the smell of weed dominating the city. This was mainly because the hotel was in the Mission District, not the nicest area of San Fran, but even in the main areas, there were still lots of poverty and homelessness which scared me.

DAY 12:
This was our last night of Contiki and we had the day to roam San Fran at our leisure. Leya, Fran and myself decided to have a chilled out day and go shopping around the city and have a lie in, as everyday had been an intense and early wake up call! We went around all the major shops and were trying bits and pieces on for
Encore XSEncore XSEncore XS

Picture 31
the final night out all together. It was a nice and leisurely afternoon (Picture 52). We then made our way back to the hotel and even in the day time the number of homeless people lining the streets was intimidating and quite horrible, but we stuck together and walked with a purpose. Just within the five hours we were out on union street we saw one homeless man get beaten up and another get arrested, it was quite an eye opener. I moved out of my room in the hotel and into my hostel, which was just off Union Street. The hostel was OK and I was on the top floor, there was no one in my room, so I had the whole room to get ready for the last night of Contiki. It was quite nice to have my own space as I had shared a room with Rachel the whole trip and although she had been a lovely girl and a great room mate, it was still nice to have a bit of time to myself. I got ready and glamed up and then went to WalMart to buy some vodka and sprite (essentials) before the meal. I
Crew LoveCrew LoveCrew Love

Picture 32
met Leya and Fran a bit later and we made our way to China Town where we were going to have an authentic chinese meal and I was starving! I sat on a table with Leya, Fran, Lachlan, Phil, Josh and Nick and the tour leader Korrie. The staff placed lots of food on to the lazy Susan in the middle and we were to help ourselves to the delicious food! We got three bottles of wine and even had fortune cookies as well. We were all in great spirits, but sad it was the end of the tour already! The 11 days had gone so quickly. (Picture 53) We then made our way to a local bar, Korrie had warned us of this place. They served drinks called Volcanos, where three people had to order a drink and drink it together as they were lethally strong. Naturally me, Leya and Fran got a volcano together and shared it with a few others, we got a strawberry one and it was lovely. (Picture 54) We then went on to an Irish bar which was great fun and lots more drinks were consumed. It was a fantastic night and a great way to end Contiki. The next morning a large group were leaving to carry on the tour, but the majority were staying with me in San Fran. I went back to my hostel at around 2am. It was a great night in San Fran, but very cold!

DAY 13:
Although desperately hungover, the few remaining in San Fran decided to do the toursity things. We met in Burger King at 1pm and got in the queue for the cable car. It was $12 a ride and we queued 2 hours for it and it was only a ten minute journey. It was quite cool though watching the cable car turn around at each end, but when you have seen it once, you have seen it 100 times! (Picture 55) We got the cable car all the way down to Fishermans Wharf (Picture 56) and went for a walk along there, it was freezing cold and very tacky. But we eventually stopped for some clam chouder and hot dogs and Leya and Fran got there palms read. It was a nice afternoon and pleasant to be by the sea. (Picture 57) We then walked up to Lombard street, the famous
Pool PartyPool PartyPool Party

Picture 34
and most windy street in the world, it was very pretty with lots of flowers and nicely painted houses around. (Picture 58 and 59). We then got taxis back to our hostels and got ready for dinner, we were all shattered. We met again later at around 9pm and went to the Castro, the gay district of San Fran and it was very smart. We went for a meal, I was very grateful for some vegetables and some nice potatoes, not chips and a burger! We had an early night and said our goodbyes to everyone, as I was going to LA early the next morning, Leya and Fran were flying to NYC, Rachel was going home and Lachlan and Nick were going back to Vegas. It was quite sad, I was particularly gutted to be leaving Leya and Fran so we had the last snuggle back at the hotel before I left at around 1am. (Picture 60)

DAY 14:
I left San Francisco at 6am the next morning for a six hour MegaBus back down to Los Angeles. I was absolutely shattered, set an early for 5:30 and got a taxi from outside the hostel. Just as my
Limo RideLimo RideLimo Ride

Picture 35
taxi was about to leave, a guy with a suitcase ran out and just happened to be on the same megabus as me, so we shared a taxi down to the station. He was a nice guy and a fellow traveller and of course he was an Auzzie, I must be attracted to them. We stopped in San Jose for a toilet break and some food, but I slept the whole way as I was so tired. But the problem with America transport is that they always blast the air conditioning so I was lucky to have my blanket and pillow to keep my warm. I arrived in Los Angeles and it was so nice to see the sunshine again and feel the heat as I had had enough of freezing cold San Fran! I caught a taxi to my hostel on Hollywood Boulevard and even though I was shattered dumped my suitcase and walked down Hollywood Boulevard. It was quite cool and I did see lots of cool things, lots of flashing lights, palm trees and the famous Chinese Theatre and I even found my name on the walk of fame! (Picture 61 and 62) I caught a bus
Palms Club 39Palms Club 39Palms Club 39

Picture 36
around and also saw Beverley Hills, Sunset Boulevard and lots of other famous places in Hollywood and Los Angeles. But I was so tired, I forgot to take picture of most of them. (Picture 63) That night I went out for sushi and chilled at the hostel with three lovely english guys from Bath and three guys from Holland, it was nice to have a break from Alcohol and sit out in the sunshine for a few hours. The boys left at around 1am to go to a strip club whilst I went to bed!

DAY 15:
There is literally no such thing as a lie in whilst travelling, as the next morning, my last full day in LA. I decided to go for a hike up to the Hollywood sign. It is all in privately owned land, so you can't get that close, but when you were close, it was incredible. I went with a group from the hostel and our guide gave us all the history about it, it was originally said 'Hollywood Land' and there have been numerous attacks on the sign, including in the 1960s in an antiweed demonstration. But it was a nice day,
Vegas SkylineVegas SkylineVegas Skyline

Picture 37
but very hot and tiring as it was all up hill and I did not wear the appropiate footwear! (Picture 64) That night I chilled with the Danish and English guys again and went out for Sushi, but went to bed at around 11pm. I was absolutely shattered and my trip was drawing to a close!

DAY 16:
I spent the whole day sitting in the sun. I was so tired! I had breakfast in the hostel and just spent the day chilling in the sunshine, until 4:15pm when my shuttle bus picked me up for the airport. I made my way to departures and then through security and within the next twenty hours I had landed safe and sound in Heathrow. I was absolutely shattered, but had had an absolutely incredible time in the United States and in a year and a half I had conquered both sides of the continent. What an amazing country!


Additional photos below
Photos: 63, Displayed: 51


Advertisement

Hungover LoveHungover Love
Hungover Love

Picture 38
Yosemite ParkYosemite Park
Yosemite Park

Picture 40
Bike RideBike Ride
Bike Ride

Picture 41
Beautiful PlaceBeautiful Place
Beautiful Place

Picture 42


Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.039s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb