Day 3- Avila Beach and Pismo Beach Exploration


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California
January 27th 2013
Published: January 29th 2013
Edit Blog Post

This is the version I emailed this morning without pictures (1/28)





Day 3-Avila Beach and Pismo Beach



It's Sunday morning, the sun is up and shining on gorgeous waves crashing into Avila Beach. Suffers are up earlier than us catching the waves. (see picture from our porch window). Today is a promising day weather wise and after a casual breakfast and planning our day, we headed out to experience our first full non-travel weekend day.



We stayed relatively local today with a drive down Shell Beach road first to Pismo Beach where we attended a local Jazz and Blues jam session in their VFW. We saw it advertised with a coupon for free admission. It was great to see youngsters playing all kinds of instruments with old guys. The music was fun. We met the mother and a mentor of the young 12 year old boy playing the Wash Board (see picture). Susan has committed to become a musician by learning to play the Wash Board. Now we have to find one and build it out with bell, sound stick and cymbal. We will definitely be antique shopping for one. When I learn to play my Strum-stick, then we can form our own band and take to the SCG karaoke stage, that's about the only stage that we'd possibly be allowed to be on. We'll see the same jazz and blues band on Thursday night at the San Luis Obispo farmer's market event, a great street fair that we attended last time we were here. That is something to look forward to.



Then on to Arroyo Grande, CA, a relatively small town, not quite living up to the Chamber of Commerce write up but did have a couple antique shops but not the wash board we seek. They did have ones made of glass, interesting but probably not a good substitute for a good solid Brass wash board. The hanging bridge picture features the lovely Susan over the creek.



We were looking forward to catching some steam crabs we had seen advertised at the Crab Shack, but at $75 a bucket, that seemed a bit much for lunch, so back to Avila Beach to the Custom House for lunch on the walk looking out at the sun and beach. Then for our first and only wine tasting today at Alapay Cellars tasting room was a nice relaxing change of pace. By now sunset is upon us, beautiful overlooking the ocean and cliffs as it sets from our comfy couch at the Hula Hut, a local ice cream and coffee place. A great place to type up a blog entry.



I don't know what's happening on the Blog site. It all looks successful on my end. Hopefully we can get it figured out. Until tomorrow!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



29th January 2013

You guys make me smile just to look at you!
Well, I finally got to the blog! I need to make my own blog about the journey I have had trying to get to your blog! But, Alas, it was worth the wait. You look like you are having such a wonderful time and the weather looks gorgeous. Can't wait to see you. I just found out that the day you were at the Reagan Library our family was there honoring Shannon's dad, Congressman Elton Gallegley. He just finished his 25 year term as the Republican Congressman in Ventura County. I wonder if you saw them. I'll email you pictures. Hugs and Lots of Love!

Tot: 0.164s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0587s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.4mb