19th May Alcatraz


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California
May 19th 2012
Published: May 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

19thMay 2012

Early start today 7am breakfast at Tad's Cosy Cafe opposite our Hotel Vertigo. Then off by cable car up and down hills to Pier 33 to catch the boat to Alcatraz. We had not booked this trip and had not anticipated the demand for boat tickets, as it was we were lucky enough to get the last 4 tickets available that day.

The weather was kind to us as the wind had dropped so the sea was calm and the sun was shining.

Alcatraz is now one of the Golden Gate National Parks and a very popular visitor attraction.

Although you have to book tickets to get out to the island you can return whenever you want or at least on the next available ferry.

We would recommend the Audio tour of the main cellhouse which is large and divided into four separate cell blocks. The audio tour has commentaries from ex prisoners and warders and includes background noises that you would hear when the prison was operational.

The contrast between the inside of the prison and the rest of island is quite stark. It is gloomy inside the prison but bright and vibrant on the rest of the island with flowers in full bloom and lots of different birds many of which were sitting on eggs. Also the views from the island back to San Francisco and the rest of the bay area were spectacular.

After lunch we went to Fishermans Wharf along the coast (which seemed to be a bit like blackpool but without the tower) it was interesting to stroll along and observe all the different characters.

Then a return by cable car to Union Square where we enjoyed a beer whilst watching all the characters go on their various ways. Including a fierce competition between 2 bag ladies who must have visted the same rubbish bin at least 10 times during our brief stay.

Then back to Hotel for a short break before going out an excellent Thai meal.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



20th May 2012

Loved Alcatraz
I remember how amazing Alcatraz was, the audio tour really does transport you back doesn't it. Glad you enjoyed it. I remember thinking that San Fran was one of the places I could actually live in America. Looking forward to the next post. Lucy

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0587s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.3mb