Yosemite


Advertisement
Published: August 30th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

San Fransisco to Yosemite


Tree Hugger at White Wolf Camp.Tree Hugger at White Wolf Camp.Tree Hugger at White Wolf Camp.

This was our first night in Yosemite and the Camp Host came over and introduced himself and suggested some highlights.
Left San Fransisco and headed across to Yosemite, a four hour drive through flat hot countryside. It was 106' F and we had the air conditioning on all the way and listened to local country music station. We were told we had no hope of getting a campsite, but when we arrived there the ranger told us to go up to "White Wolf" camp which was further than the popular Yosemite Valley sites.

Luckily we got a site and settled in for the night, putting all our food into the heavy duty bear boxes which are located in every camp space. This is serious bear country and they raid your camp and steal food even from inside your car! The scenery here is unbelievable and we decided to hike from Glacier Point to Yosemite Valley because this is supposed to be the best walk in California with waterfalls, granite cliffs and the meadows of Yosemite Valley in the distance. On our walk we saw a couple of deer drinking at a pool, it was very picturesque and the scenery overall was breathtaking.

On the second day we registered for a campsite inside Yosemite Valley and we were registration number
Enjoying Upper Pines Camp SiteEnjoying Upper Pines Camp SiteEnjoying Upper Pines Camp Site

This was taken before the bear arrived. I got the shock of my life.
12. We had to come back at 3.00pm to see what vacancies were available. Luckily we got a fabulous campsite in Upper Pines campsite and that night we were visited by a bear. Now we've seen squirrels, deer, a coyote and a bear.

There is a forest of giant sequoia trees in the southern part of the park and we had a drive down to see them and took a tram trip through the grove. People used to drive through a massive sequoia, but it was hit by a huge storm in 1969 and fell over. We saw it there where it fell.

Yosemite was fabulous and I can understand why so many people go there every year.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Giant Sequoia Trees at WawonaGiant Sequoia Trees at Wawona
Giant Sequoia Trees at Wawona

These are the biggest trees on earth!
Half DomeHalf Dome
Half Dome

View of Half Dome and Yosemite Valley taken from Glacier Point.
Happy Campers at YosemiteHappy Campers at Yosemite
Happy Campers at Yosemite

Just to prove we've been there.


30th August 2010

Hi Jane and John, Great photos! What an experience, you guys looks so excited. Glad its all going so well. Lots of love!
31st August 2010

Hi Jane and John
What a great trip! Have you seen anu old geysers, other than John? Did the bear score any tucker? xxxxxxx John
31st August 2010

Bears and Geysers
Hi John, geysers will have to wait until Yellowstone. The bear appeared at night and come around from the back of the bear box while I was putting food away. He was too slow to get any, I slammed the door shut and screamed before he could get anything.
2nd September 2010

love the deer
Do they have drop bears in Yosemite?.. the scenery looks stunning.. brisbane welshes...

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb