Sunnyvale California


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Sunnyvale
January 11th 2011
Published: January 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Finally got to add to our travel blog - sorry but life has been a bit hectic.
I started my new job at ShoreTel on Tuesday the 4th of January. All going well so far, but a lot to learn. There were 20 new starters at the orientation so business is doing well. One of them I met is also starting in Australia as the local trainer.
The tech support guys here keep telling me how much they were hanging out for me to start in Australia so I am thinking there will be heaps of work there too.
Glenda has managed to keep herself busy while I have been at work, treading the pavements and hopping on buses and trains to find local shopping centres.
We caught the Caltrain up to San Francisco last Saturday and did the touristy things of going to Alcatraz (which was very interesting), then catching the local bus tour around San Fran to see the sights which included a walk on the Golden Gate bridge and we finished the day at a seafood restaurant called Scoma's near Fishermans Wharf - it was recommended to me by one of the guys from work. The place was packed and we can thoroughly recommend it too - we ate too much, but it was too nice not to eat it all.
Still not used to this tipping routine though....some bills will tell you that tips are not included in the price and some list the suggested 15% to 20% tip values you should leave.
Also prices displayed in the shops do not include tax so when you get to the checkout it is 10% more than you thought it would cost. Drives us nuts!!!
Sunday we drove down to Monterey and visited the aquarium there. The aquarium and many sea horse and jelly-fish exhibits were amazing.
Then we drove down the 17 mile drive along the coastline which is very scenic (they charge 10 bucks for the drive) and called into Pebble Beach links golf course.
The golf professional was out on the practice green so I gave him some tips seeing as he was a left handed golfer like me - I think they worked cause he then sunk a 30 foot putt!
On from there to a well known shopping village called Carmel for coffee and muffins. Checked the local real estate prices - the starting prices were a minimum of $1million - with most much more than that.
Arrived back at our very comfortable room at the Marriott Residence Inn. During the week nights they have complimentary drinks and a "light tea" available which we have been taking advantage of.
Weather has been cool - to be expected of course as it is winter here. We were disappointed that it was foggy when we were at San Francisco but the locals tell us that fog is normal.
We fly to Austin, Texas this weekend for my 3 weeks training before heading home so it will be interesting to see a city which is supposedly one of the music capitals.
Until our next update.
Cheers.
Col (and Glenda)


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



15th January 2011

great travel blog
Hi Glenda and Col... it has been great to read about your trip thus far. It will be a great record of your trip for years to come. Love the pics... particularly the one of Glenda in Alcatraz! Keep on enjoying your US experience. love, Fiona
16th January 2011

FUN FUN and a Bit of WOrk
Looks like you guys are having a great time... good to see Col keeping his Golf skills .. the boys will all want to be his buddy next round he plays when he gets home.... Looking forward to the Texas updates xxx deb

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0495s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb