Keep Austin Weird


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Texas » Austin
January 23rd 2011
Published: January 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Coffee at Sandra Bullocks cafeCoffee at Sandra Bullocks cafeCoffee at Sandra Bullocks cafe

This is a small coffee!
We lost another 2 hours when arriving at a wet Austin airport. It has made it even more difficult catching up with things at home. We have been here for a little over a week, and now 17 hours behind y’all.

Austin is the State Capital of Texas, it’s 4th largest city, having over 1.7million people. IT, politics and a huge university (90,000 students) help to make it a thriving place - not to mention the music and entertainment which makes it known as a music capital and their local slogan “Keep Austin Weird”.

Sunday we drove into "Downtown Austin" walked along 4th, 5th and 6th Streets most famous for the cafes, restaurants and entertainment. Walked through the Texas State Capital grounds and beautiful 18th century Capital Hill building, amazing!! Went to a Brewery/Restaurant for dinner which happens to be conveniently right next to our hotel - great beer, great pizza and made a few friends that made a list of must do things for us whilst we are here.

Col started his training this week and has been busy learning and studying.
I have been enjoying hopping on the buses checking the place out, talking to the locals, have been mistaken for a Brit mostly - everyone is keen to hear about Australia, curious and concerned about the terrible floods and 'Oprah in Australia' has been aired recently, so it seems everyone has it on their places to go list.

Tuesday night we went to the Ice Hockey with a few of Col’s work colleagues "Go the Austin Stars"..... dancing girls ... lots of hype.. very dramatic and heaps of fun. Was 3-3 at full time. Austin lost in extra time.

Wednesday was a beautiful sunny day, didn’t even need my coat - walked for miles found some fantastic Antique shops and amazing Boot Shops in South Austin. I did a bus tour taking in some beautiful old heritage homes and driving through the Hills area where Sandra Bullock, Andy Roddick, Lance Armstrong, Denis Quaid and Matthew Mcconaughey live, a rather nice part of town you may say.

Yesterday was Saturday and we drove back into Austin and had a coffee at Sandra Bullocks café. She must have been out the back baking cakes because we did not see her. Apparently she owns real estate, and a café and restaurant in Austin.

We then took a Segway tour of the city centre. It was heaps of fun and a great way to get around. It only took a few minutes to get used to leaning forward and back to make the Segway go and stop.

In the evening we went to a restaurant called the Oasis which is 6 or 7 levels built on the side of a hill overlooking Lake Travis. The locals recommend it because you sit there and watch the sun go down across the water – and it did not disappoint with a magnificent red sunset and the food was great.

Till next time
G&C
xxxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

A couple of "weird" AustinitesA couple of "weird" Austinites
A couple of "weird" Austinites

This is one of the guys we met in the brewery/restaurant next door


Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0351s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb